• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving print-ready artwork with transparency

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am wondering what the proper way is to succesfully save print-ready artwork that contains transparency?  I have a document that I've layered a vector with both a gradient and transparency over my artwork.  I've been saving it as an EPS and using distiller to create a PDF.  The vector with the transparency is not displaying properly on the final PDF. 

I'm a mostly self-taught seasoned graphic artist but I know I'm missing a key piece of information in this particular process. I typically find a work around, but want to get to the bottom if it once and for all. 🙂 Can someone please point me in the right direction? 

Many thanks in advance for your valuable insights. 🙂 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Unfortunately one of the things saving to EPS/distilling does to achieve that filesize is the removal of transparency.

If you turn off 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities' in the PDF options, does that have an effect on filesize?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

For me, the best results when printing happened when I created and EPS version and opened, flattened in Photoshop. Printers do not handle Transparency and Effects in Vector artwork. Flattened images print the best! Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilly,

Do you need the EPS step here? Why not save a PDF directly from Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not exactly, except that when I save the PDF directly in illustrator its a much larger file size.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately one of the things saving to EPS/distilling does to achieve that filesize is the removal of transparency.

If you turn off 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities' in the PDF options, does that have an effect on filesize?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, interesting. I just tried that and the oringinal EPS file is 164MB, the PDF saved in illustrator with the setting you mentioned above removed is 60MB, and the EPS>distilled>PDF is 4MB.  

Maybe I'll just need to save the transperancy/gradient/image overlay in Photosop to achieve the look I'm going for but still have the option to have the smaller file size?  Do you think that's my only or best option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the best results when printing happened when I created and EPS version and opened, flattened in Photoshop. Printers do not handle Transparency and Effects in Vector artwork. Flattened images print the best! Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Printers do not handle Transparency and Effects in Vector artwork"

Well, maurizv, to claim that may be an oversimplification. The majority of printers that I know can handle them very well for about two decades.

Admittedly, it may depend on what region of the earth you are living and what kind of equipment actually is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really appreciate everyone's feedback! I have had printers successfully print my artwork with transperancy before, but this particular case is print-ready artwork being sent to the client to use as needed. It needs to present well both digitally (on screen) and when printed, and also be a relatively reasonable file size.  

I guess I was hoping for an easy fix, or something I was missing in my knowledge in terms of settings, but I perhaps I just need to take the time to manually flatten/combine the transparency and image prior to placing it in the artwork. 🙂 

Thanks so much! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines