Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

scale artwork with artboard??

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have artwork that fits nicely on my artboard but I would like to change artboard dimensions and the artwork it contains in one operation - is this possible?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Use following script:
https://gist.github.com/shivendra14/f135d6279a20053a62a798be5da5e174

enter the required artboard area when asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Hi All,

We understand this request has been pending for a long time. The product team is aware of this and actively monitors this UserVoice for feedback (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/31500847-resize-artboard-art-inside-it-simultaneously). Please upvote it and add you comment there.

The product team tested this feature last year in the beta release, but it still needs more work to be a part of a public release.

Thanks,

Ansh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say with a script as the only possible way the script would do several operations in sequence to accomplish the final effect but fro the user's perspective it would be one task..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gabbi,

Depending on version and whether there is artwork outside the Artboard, which has to be dealt with if there is artwork that is sucked inside, you may do it in a limited number of steps, which would also be the steps in a script.

With no artwork outside, you may be able to create a nostroke nofill rectangle corresponding to, or replacing, the Artboard in one step (in 10, you can Object>Crop Marks>Make with nothing selected and then Object>Crop Marks>Release), select all, scale to fit the new Artboard size, and with the Artboard Tool Crop to Artwork or something; once you have the Artboard rectangle you may skip that part (in later scalings).

With artwork outside, you may be able to use the Scale Tool to both select an arbitrary point of origin and scale proportionally by a specific factor (I believe this is possible after 10), you may select all, set the Artboard origin as the point of origin, and scale, unless the Artboard origin moves when the Artboard size is changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you cannot do it without a script however if you want to do something manual because of proportional concerns you draw a rectangle the same dimensions and location as the existing artboard.

Then either group the art and artboard or simply select both of them and scale to the percentage or using the selection tool resize them by dragging.

Then you ungroup and or select the rectangle only and go to Object>Convert to Artboard.

I woud have suggested this but cannot see how this can be made into an action that would have any time saving or workflow value.

You would still have to draw the rectangle manually and then select the rectangle then run an action including a scale step and the an ungroup but first I think you would have to stop the action to select only the rectangle,quite a messy deal.

I think a script might work better.

It would be different if there were a command to covert artboard to a path and if that were the case an action would work but without this command there is no real way.

However if you use CS 4 and like the old filter create crop marks you can load the last version of it into the plug in folders for Illustrator CS 4 and it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use following script:
https://gist.github.com/shivendra14/f135d6279a20053a62a798be5da5e174

enter the required artboard area when asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the required artboard size. I am used to putting a H x W dimension in, not just one number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maggieb11552238The number required is area of the artboard you wish to use in pixels. For example, 8.5 x 11 in = 740 x 958 px. Multiply 740 by 958 to get the area, 708920, which is the single number you would type in the dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has been a while, but for anyone else looking for this functinoality:

This one does the job for me. It's rough, but have a critical look at what you're doing and this should save you some time.

https://github.com/nimbling/Nimbling_Scripts/blob/master/JSX%20Scripts/Scale%20All%20Artboards%20and...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My way is semi-automatically. Save artboards as separate pdf-files. Then open pdf in AI – select all (you have artwork with frame from artboard) – scale (Object –> Scale). Second step: Object –> Artboards –> Fit to artwork bounds. Voilà!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this worked for me.

1. Select all the artwork layers, resize to desired resolution with properties panel.

2. Object>Artboards>Fit to arwork bounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. 2022 and degenerate Adobe still didn't add scaling content along with artboard. Literally most trash company ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We understand this request has been pending for a long time. The product team is aware of this and actively monitors this UserVoice for feedback (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/315...). Please upvote it and add you comment there.

The product team tested this feature last year in the beta release, but it still needs more work to be a part of a public release.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Вы долбаебы конченые

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines