Highlighted

Scale live text just as the new "Snap to Glyph"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to scale live text to fit another object (like a box) at baseline and cap-height?

Even as you select cap-height as text size measurement, the bounding box is STILL the Em-box – resulting in the anchor point being below the baseline and the point you are scaleing way over the cap-height. As a result the scale is impossible to crontrol precisely even with smartguides.

See screenshots – the first one is before the scale the second one is where the scaleing snaps with the smartguides.

The way I see it, there are almost no situation where you want i to behave like it does.

PS. the new Snap to Glyph fetures are great!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

The Outline Stroke effect only works if the Use Preview Bounds option is turned on in the general section of the Illustrator Preferences or in the flyout menu of the Align palette.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scale live text just as the new "Snap to Glyph"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to scale live text to fit another object (like a box) at baseline and cap-height?

Even as you select cap-height as text size measurement, the bounding box is STILL the Em-box – resulting in the anchor point being below the baseline and the point you are scaleing way over the cap-height. As a result the scale is impossible to crontrol precisely even with smartguides.

See screenshots – the first one is before the scale the second one is where the scaleing snaps with the smartguides.

The way I see it, there are almost no situation where you want i to behave like it does.

PS. the new Snap to Glyph fetures are great!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

The Outline Stroke effect only works if the Use Preview Bounds option is turned on in the general section of the Illustrator Preferences or in the flyout menu of the Align palette.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Tools, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your text and go to Effect > Path > Outline Stroke. The text will act like it has been converted to outlines, but it's an effect which means your text is still live. Then you can scale and align it like an object.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but i cant seam to get the behavior you described just from the outline stroke effect. 

Skærmbillede 2020-09-11 kl. 09.44.53.png

To make myself clear its the bounding box that troubles me. If i want so scale the text to fit the red box, the bounding box makes it so that the baseline gets offset as i begin to scale.

Skærmbillede 2020-09-11 kl. 10.00.10.pngSkærmbillede 2020-09-11 kl. 10.04.20.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh great! This is (almost) the behavior i want!

The only problem being that the overshoots of round letter is also in the Boundingbox so i still cant scale on the basis of cap- or x-height with words containing round lettes. But i can just scale a glyph with the true Cap height and then paste in the desired word afterwards.

That will have to do for now.

Thank you so much Myra and Kurt!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Resources