• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale panel not selecting "Uniform" as default option

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Illustrator since 1988 and the scale input window has always defaulted to the cursor starting with the "uniform" scale input box. Illustrator CC 20 defaults to nothing when the scale window opens and I have to tab twice to get to the "uniform" scale input box. It's really very annoying that two tabs are required just to get to the input box as opposed to landing there immediately. Why would Adobe do this?

Is there a fix for this?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I tried to replicate this on my end but i could not. When Scale box is opened, Uniform option is the one selected by default.
I'd recommend you to try resetting the preferences once. You may follow the steps below:

For MAC 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, the radio button for "uniform" scale is checked when the window opens, however, I have to tab twice to get to the dialog box where I would enter the scale numerically. In all of the versions of Illustrator I have ever used, when the scale window is opened, I'd immediately be able to type in my desired scale - I would not have to tab twice to get to the dialog box. It may seem like a small thing but I use the scale command hundreds of times a day and it is annoyingly unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update to 24.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently forced to leap from CS4 to CC because of a new computer and OS purchase. CS4 did everything I needed it to do quickly, cleanly - I could fly through my work. I initially installed the latest Illustrator CC 24.0 but so many things were changed that Adobe left out options to control (where did Cartesian coordinates go?). I reverted to CC 20.0.0 because fewer things had changed and I could at least continue to work, for the most part, as I always had. Carlos Canto provided me a solution to the corrdinates issue but I'd still like to bring up the scale window and immediately type in my scale factor without needlessly tabbing twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What workspace are you using try the Essentials Classic as a stary, you may feel more at home. (Window > Control, shows the controlpanel, you can also toggle the link on the transform panel)

Make sure that the link is checked when no object are selected to activatte default to be constrained.  

Some ot the things have changed because of SVG and the web evolving but you can convert a shape to a path, which might help some instances. (Object > Shape > Expand Shape)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be sure, you are talking about an old version of Illustrator? Around 2016? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using an older version (2015 3.0 release). When the new computer arrived a couple months ago, and because of the new OS (Mojave), I had to switch to CC from CS4, I installed the latest and greatest version at that time but was plagued by extremely sluggish performance that I could never work out. A coworker suggested that I install an older version and I chose 20.0.0 and it resolved a lot of issues I was having including the sluggish behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then i am afraid there will not be a solution for your problem with this version,.

The problem was solved in a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it has been solved. I'm on 2021 and it still persists in this version. Press 'S' for scale, hit enter, the number boxhighlighted is for the non-uniform scaling by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It remembers what you did last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It used to remember what you did last (which was a useful feature). Now (v27.0) when selecting the scale panel, you get 'minus' scale values that often then give you a warning that objects will fall off the pasteboard as well as causing mirror flips of objects. V27 on an Apple silicon Studio is a mess. Adobe have admitted that they haven't resolved the so called 'native' silicon problems (AI CS6 was faster for professional workflow). 6 months after Adobe told me I would have to upgrade to a new Apple Silicon to run the latest AI and resolve issues I was having with CC21 - still no update patch. At least I have been given a discount until they do resolve it.
It's like a car manufacturer updating the body design of a car, but leaving off a wheel or making it take longer to get up to normal road speed. It might look good, with new shiny features, but at the cost of once stable functionality.
Even so called Artificial Intelligence automation will struggle to work if Adobe can't get the functionality right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same background - it seems like Adobe should have worked this out in concurrent upgrades. Very irritating to lose production defaults. Can someone update this FIX for ILLUSTRATOR 2021 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines