• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale tool problem

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Scale tool has suddenly lost the ability to scale proportionally. When I hold down shift and drag diagonally nothing happens. It doesn't matter whether it's relative to the centre point or a different reference point.

It's driving me nuts and wasting heaps of time! Anyone got any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed anything new in your system recently?

Some browser plugins, Banking software, TeamView etc are known to mess with the modifier keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if the following steps reflect what the OP is experiencing, but it may be.

In Illustrator CC 2017 (21.0.2) on Sierra 10.12.3 I can see some disturbance when you try to scale proportionally with the Scale tool while Smart Guides are turned on and the Transform tools option is enabled in the Smart Guides preferences.

Steps to reproduce:

• Make sure that the Transform Tools option is turned on in the Smart Guides preferences.
  • Turn on Smart Guides in the View menu.
  • Select any object.
  • Grab the Scale tool.
  • Hold down the Shift key and try to scale the object.

Results:

• The object will not be scaled at all.
  • The object will be scaled, but you have to exactly follow the Uniform smart guide and release the mouse button at the right moment. That just works accidentally (sort of), but it shouldn't be necessary to rely on the Uniform guide when you Shift scale with the Scale tool.

Possible workarounds:

• Turn off Smart Guides in the View menu.
  • Have Smart Guides turned on, but turn off the Transform Tools option in the Smart Guides preferences.

The problem does not exist in other Illustrator versions I know (for example CS5, CS6, CS2 or Illustator 10).

Would be nice to get some feedback if other users can reproduce this issue as well. If so, it qualifies as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me as well on Yosemite.

I haven't examined if it goes away with the steps you mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening here in Windows 7, but only when attempting to scale UP (dragging outward). (If I drag inward, it runs smooth and true.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt explains why. The culprit is the Transform Tools setting in the Smart Guides preferences panel. This setting disturbs shift dragging with a mouse or Wacom tablet. It also disturbs, shift-dragging points with VectorScribe's PathScribe tool. I've confirmed that with Astute Graphics.

Everything works for me as expected in the most up-to-date version of AICC 2017 on the most current Sierra, with the latest Wacom driver so long as the Transform Tools setting is toggled off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem after the latest illustrator CC update. Holding down SHIFT+OPTION does not scale an object proportionally from the centre like it used to. Holding down shift alone dow snot scale an object proportionally either, infact it flashes a proportionally called object for a split second randomly sometimes during the process. Seems like a bug to me. The thing that really irritates me about update sis how can the usual basic functions of any program be disrupted - where's the quality control Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one.

View>Show Bounding Box (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift+Ctrl+B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening in Illustrator 25.1, FOUR YEARS LATER. Fortunately, unchecking the transform tools checkbox in the Smart Guides preferences is still a valid workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use the "Free Transform Tool", that seems to work. Shift-Clicking the scale tool creates all sorts of eradic behavious, so I have removed it from the toolbar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines