Highlighted

Scale, turn or reflect objects

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow illustrator users,

I have encountered a problem and I couldn’t find a solution. Mabye this is something really simple but google had no answers for me. My problem is the following:

A few month ago, my workflow was like this. When I had to scale, mirror or reflect an object, I would go to transform>scale and then type in the specific numbers I needed. This came in really handy when I had to scale other object with the same percentage. I just went to transform>scale again. But this time I didn’t have to type in the numbers again because they were still there from the last time, like Illustrator was saving them. This worked with reflect and rotate as well. Now when I do the same and want to transform an object again, the numbers in the box are something completely different. Sometimes it still works the way it used to do but most of the time I get some odd numbers. It’s like illustrator wants to help me by guessing what numbers I need next but they are never right. When I reflect an object horizontally, the next time I open the tool it suggests reflecting the object by 37,975°. When I turn an object by 30° and open the tool again it suggest I should now turn the object by -14,456° or something.

What is this and how do I turn this off?

Please don’t tell my about all the other ways to scale, rotate and reflect objects. Thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scale, turn or reflect objects

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow illustrator users,

I have encountered a problem and I couldn’t find a solution. Mabye this is something really simple but google had no answers for me. My problem is the following:

A few month ago, my workflow was like this. When I had to scale, mirror or reflect an object, I would go to transform>scale and then type in the specific numbers I needed. This came in really handy when I had to scale other object with the same percentage. I just went to transform>scale again. But this time I didn’t have to type in the numbers again because they were still there from the last time, like Illustrator was saving them. This worked with reflect and rotate as well. Now when I do the same and want to transform an object again, the numbers in the box are something completely different. Sometimes it still works the way it used to do but most of the time I get some odd numbers. It’s like illustrator wants to help me by guessing what numbers I need next but they are never right. When I reflect an object horizontally, the next time I open the tool it suggests reflecting the object by 37,975°. When I turn an object by 30° and open the tool again it suggest I should now turn the object by -14,456° or something.

What is this and how do I turn this off?

Please don’t tell my about all the other ways to scale, rotate and reflect objects. Thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

You are saying that it sometimes works as expected. And sometimes not. Can you perhaps see any pattern that may help to reproduce the occurrence of misbehaviour and correct (expected) behaviour?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the version 25.0, which is the newest I think.

Yes sometimes it workes as expected but most of the times not. This is an example. First I scale an object by a chosen amount, in this case 50%. But when I try it again, the numbers have changed completely. It even jumped from even to uneven. 8 out of 10 times it does something like this.

Scaling1.jpgScaling2.jpg

I am from germany, this is why the text in the boxes is all german but i think the numbers show my point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We (3 workstations) are having the same issue using version 25.0. Most times the scaling jump from uniform to Non-uniform after previously using uniform scale as well as random scale percentages from previous inputs. 

Please help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences when updating?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have reset preferences(Ctrl-Shift-Alt when starting illustrator) and still have the same issue. Also having the same issue on my home computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Resources