Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Illustrations from CC Library

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I have a problem with scaling objects and changing illustrations in Illustrator CC (currently 25.0.1, Windows 10).

I made a couple of elements for technical illustrations. I saved the drawings into the CC Library. Then I placed them for a few dozen times in my document and created my illustrations out of the elements. The objects were placed at a 100% scale (important!).

I wasn't happy with the stroke weight of the elements, so I changed the stroke weight of the 25 elements within my library - the artboards of the individual elements also had to be resized because of this.  

Now all the placed objects are scaled (probably because of the new artboard sizes). The placed objects are now showing up as scaled between  94% to 99%  in my list of links. Because of the scaling, you can now see a difference in stroke weight of the objects from the CC library and pieces not connecting any more.

The problem is: I can't find a way to set scaling back to 100% for the objects. And because of the difference of scale between the individual elements,  scaling them by hand would be too much work

Is the only way to place the elements a second time and redo the whole drawings? Where can I find a button like "reset all transformations"?

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a little update and a second problem: I now tried to make the placed objects editable by clicking on "embed". The objects now have a bounding box which I removed. The points and values can be changed now, great! But the "Align"-Tool doesn't work on those objects anymore! This seems like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't click Embed! To embed them place them embedded instead of linked.

Alt Drag then from the library onto the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote, the illustration is already made and I want to salvage it somehow. Dragging them out of the library again would mean I would have to remake the illustrations. 

Clicking on "embed" was the suggestion in this: thread. https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/can-you-make-a-graphic-from-a-cc-library-editable/td-p/99...

It somehow helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the Embed button is bad advice, it embeds what looks like a PDF version with clipping masks and all of the original editable effects gone.

Alt-drag them to your artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton, but I didn't find any other option so this was the best way.

I just wanted to point out the bug that the embeded objects couldn't be aligned with the alignement tool.

I didn't apply any effects and just removed the clipping path to make it editable. In my special case, I found a workaround: using one of the lower pathfinder buttons, made the paths visible for the alignement tool again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I didn't find any other option so this was the best way."

Hold down the Alt key and drag the object from the library, no clipping path, just the original item.

Right click on the item in the library and select Place Copy will do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, sorry, thanks again for your help, but that is not an option for the more or less completed illustrations -- as I wrote before. In my case clicking on embed all and removing the bounding boxes was much easier and faster.

I didn't find any intuitive way to exchange placed objects either, e.g. dragging an element out of the library over a placed library element on the art board, which makes the CC library not really usable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines