Scaling up circle with konstant center

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

here you can see my sketch:

skizze_1.png

I want to make the circle bigger by draging it. I want to make it exactly that big, so that the circle intercepts with the end of the orange line, like the following sektch would show:

skizze_2.png

I did this sektch by changing the width [px] and height [px] values. But i do not want it like that. I want it to scale up by dragging. The problem: After making the circle bigger by dragging the outer ring of the circle, the position of the center of the circle changes. It does not stay at the same place. Is there any to do this?

Of course i could just change the height values, but i want the circle to overlap with the end of the line EXACTLY.
Greetings Spedex

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

If you like you can, of course, duplicate the line segment, use the copy for the rotation, and delete when you have scaled the circle.

Scale circle-1.pngScale circle-2.pngScale circle-3.png

Peter

Hi, Jacob, Carlos, and Kurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Another way is drawing a temporary guide (dotted line) from the centre of the circle to the top of the vertical line.

Then – while smart guides are turned on – just select the circle, take the Scale tool, start dragging at point A (intersection of circle and dotted line) until you reach point B (upper point of the vertical line).

scale_circle_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hold the Alt key to keep the center fixed while dragging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spedex,

Smart Guides being your friends you can Select the circle, switch to the Scale Tool, Click somewhere on the upper right of the perimeter and ClickDrag to snap to the top Anchor Point, and while you stay within snapping distance press and hold Shift until you have let go of the mouse button.

Hi Carlos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that this will really work in this case, Jacob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly, when you are asking, Kurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like you can, of course, duplicate the line segment, use the copy for the rotation, and delete when you have scaled the circle.

Scale circle-1.pngScale circle-2.pngScale circle-3.png

Peter

Hi, Jacob, Carlos, and Kurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius!!

hi Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Carlos. My main source of projects is mostly shut down, so I actually have time to think about stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thats awesome. 
Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that works for you I'm delighted. You are very welcome.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter.

No show this (non) winter there either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More winter than in decades, slowly vanishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way is drawing a temporary guide (dotted line) from the centre of the circle to the top of the vertical line.

Then – while smart guides are turned on – just select the circle, take the Scale tool, start dragging at point A (intersection of circle and dotted line) until you reach point B (upper point of the vertical line).

scale_circle_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉

Why so complicated?

Draw a simple line from circles centerpoint to endpoint of your red line.

Radius_01.png

This is the radius.

Radius_02.png

select your circle and set the width = radius * 2

Radius_03.png

Done and

have fun

😉

Update.

I totally missed Kurt's answer. But as well - one more option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my last post, but Peters solution is also a good way to do it.

Also, please notice that the initial question was about a way to do it with dragging things instead of doing it the way you are suggesting (which is valuable as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with either of those methods; I just wanted to find a way that was all construction/Smart Guides/snapping, and didn't depend on increasingly untrustworthy eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, my last post in this thread has been manipulated by someone who has the privilige to do that. Without my agreement.

There was absolutely no insult involved. Just an objective comment.

I hope that this will never happen again. Please do not break the freedom of speech in this forum unless there are bad defamations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines