Highlighted

Screen flicker on CC 2020 apps with hardware acceleration (high monitor refresh rate)

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week I started taking several courses for Photoshop and Illustrator at my local community college. While working though assignments I noticed an issue that I have not seen before, nor was I able to find a similar post in the support community.

Using Photoshop 2020 and Illustrator 2020 with hardware acceleration turned on (by default), my screen would flicker every time I moved my mouse. This only happens when using thes applications. The issue was fixed by turning off hardware acceleration in the application preferences. I have a fairly high end gaming PC and my primary monitor has a max refresh rate of 144hz. So I was a little confused about why this would be happening. On a whim, I turned HW acceleration back on and started to turn down the monitor referesh rate. The flickering continued to occur at any refresh rate above 60hz (100, 120, 144).

Is there a known issue with 2020 CC applications not playing well with high refresh rates?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Screen flicker on CC 2020 apps with hardware acceleration (high monitor refresh rate)

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week I started taking several courses for Photoshop and Illustrator at my local community college. While working though assignments I noticed an issue that I have not seen before, nor was I able to find a similar post in the support community.

Using Photoshop 2020 and Illustrator 2020 with hardware acceleration turned on (by default), my screen would flicker every time I moved my mouse. This only happens when using thes applications. The issue was fixed by turning off hardware acceleration in the application preferences. I have a fairly high end gaming PC and my primary monitor has a max refresh rate of 144hz. So I was a little confused about why this would be happening. On a whim, I turned HW acceleration back on and started to turn down the monitor referesh rate. The flickering continued to occur at any refresh rate above 60hz (100, 120, 144).

Is there a known issue with 2020 CC applications not playing well with high refresh rates?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 04, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's realyl that fancy a monitor it's more likely the answer is in your NVidia or AMD settings panel. From basic HDMI timing to advanced stuff like adaptive sync/ GSync and of course the classic forced VSync this can be anything. Hardware acceleration functions have no concept of refresh rates, they just send abstract function calls to the driver, so the issue is there most likely.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known issue with this when both apps are running. Does it happen as well, when you run only one at a time?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0