• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script for rasterize effect at text/ rectangle in illsutrator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All, I have tried to make an script for create the effect rasterize in illustrator, I tried this command "rasterizeOptions", is that true? If u have any idea, so please help me.. Thank you

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Rasterize effect is a very powerful Illustrator feature indeed. You could save a graphic style featuring this effect and easily apply it via script, but that requires some document to be saved in a pre-determined place which has that graphic style inside applied to some shape you can copy and paste between documents so as to bring in the graphic style.
Otherwise, please take a look at this thread which elucidates some on the Apply Effect XML scripting method that can add live effects to things: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/pageitem-applyeffect-liveeffectxml/m-p/7315221?page=1

If you perform experimentations with the live effect XML, we would like to know your findings so please post them here if you go that route!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silly-V, I was very interested to read the thread you linked, but when I try it (in CC2021) it appears that the applyEffect(xml) method is missing! Is this just me? - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me just now in Ai 2021 Windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! I am on a Mac, so could be that, but maybe my code is wrong. Here's what I'm using:

// apply offset path live effect to selected path
var path = app.activeDocument.selection[0];
xmlstring = '<LiveEffect name="Adobe Offset Path"><Dict data="R mlim 4 R ofst 20 I jntp 2 "/></LiveEffect>';
path.applyEffect(xmlstring);

I get this: Runtime Error: Error Code# 24: path.applyEffect is not a function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, are you able to verify that your path is a selected path? This is not very likely, but you could have a cursor inside a text frame and Illustrator will be treating the .selection object as a text selection.

Otherwise, let's see if anyone else can do a Mac test, hopefully a solution will come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it seems to be normal object and selected. Just drew a rectangle and ran the code with it selected.

Edit: removed call for help, as my issue was solved by Carlos. 🙂

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Mark, the problem is your variable name, it should not resemble reserved words (object name in this case)

do

var path2 instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Yes that was my problem. Thank you Carlos! I've been warned before about doing that before (@femkeblanco!) and I didn't see it this time. I've been using other languages were the idiom is to use the property name as a local variable. I must remember that ExtendScript has very lax variable scoping.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens, I used to have the same problem but couldn't understand why some variable names raised errors. My solution? I named all my variables in Spanish Lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha! 

var problema = 'solved!';

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jajaja (hahaha in Spanish)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Carlos and Silly-V, I have done a few hours of experimenting with this new witchcraft and I'd like to share it. Would it be best to post here or should I make a new topic? I have made a script to help parse the effect markup from a raw .ai document and made a video of the technique. Also a bunch of xml snippets for various live effects. What do you think? I've never really made this kind of contribution before.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @m1b .  Please do share.  I think if you make a new topic it might be more easily seen/found.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this will be extremely useful for everyone, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, I agree, it will be useful for everyone. It might be best to start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I started a new thread here: Scripting Live Effects. If you get a chance have a look and tell me what errors to fix! - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rikoc40685425, thanks to heaps of help from Silly-V and Carlos, I've just been introduced to the applyEffect method and I've put together a quick script that might do what you need. Let me know if it works for you. - Mark

// select an object and this will apply the rasterize live effect

var dpi = 30;
var antialiasing = false;
var typeOptimizedAntialiasing = false; // if false, will use 'art optimized'
var transparentBackground = true;
var paddingAroundInPts = 0;
var colrIndex = 1;  // 0 = RGB, 1 = CMYK, 2 = Grayscale, 3 = Bitmap
var clipMask = false;

var rasterizeXML = '<LiveEffect name="Adobe Rasterize"><Dict data="I colr #colr# B alis #alis# I dpi. #dpi# B mask #mask# R padd #padd# I optn #optn# "/></LiveEffect>';

rasterizeXML = rasterizeXML
    .replace(/#colr#/, colrIndex + (transparentBackground ? 4 : 0))
    .replace(/#alis#/, antialiasing ? 1 : 0)
    .replace(/#dpi#/, Math.round(dpi))
    .replace(/#mask#/, clipMask ? 1 : 0)
    .replace(/#padd#/, paddingAroundInPts)
    .replace(/#optn#/, typeOptimizedAntialiasing ? 16 : 0);

var item = app.activeDocument.selection[0];
item.applyEffect(rasterizeXML);

Edit: added other colour models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi m1b, CarlosCanto & Silly-V, ..

Im sorry for late reply..

I've seens ur new thread also.. Its very useful, very good..

For AI CC2015 its work perfectly,

But, actually I use AI CS2014 and its not working, the problem same like ur first reply, the variable name its not a function.. I have tried to use the unique name, like path2 also, but still not working..

My conclution, live effect is not working for cs4, could u help me once again, to solve this problem..

Appreciated ur creation, thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

applyEffect() only works from CS6 onwards.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi femkeblanco,

U r correct, below attached image for reference that I got from this thread "Rasterize .pngs in document and move to specific layer", solve by Silly-V..

Thanks everyone..

 

Screenshot_20210119-202309.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh! I see you are happy with the document.rasterize() method. I was on the wrong track because I read "the effect rasterize" in your question and assumed you needed a live effect version. Oops.

Glad you sorted it out. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines