• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Second page of two-page PDFs printing upside-down

New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past two days, two-page PDFs that I save out of CS6 are printing with the second page upside down. I have tried resaving the documents—didn't work. Tried saving the documents as individual PDFs and combining the PDFs in Acrobat—didn't work. I have had my colleagues print them, and the second page is upside-down too. When I print two-page PDFs that I saved last week or longer ago, I have no problem at all. It just seems to be happening with recently saved PDFs. I didn't update any software on my computer between saving the PDFs that are printing correctly and when this problem began.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

ermm.. Didn't I post to uncheck Auto-rotate?

Is this Mac or Windows? 

Have you checked that print drivers are up to date?

Have you reinstalled print drivers?

On the Mac, it can be helpful to remove the printer from the printer preferences in system preferences and then add it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a document-sticky printer default may have changed...like a duplex-tumble setting. Does page two appear correctly on screen?

To troubleshoot here in the forum, you'd have to provide a lot more detail with respect to your methods; perhaps with screenshots of all related dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The two-pages appear correctly on screen in both Reader and Acrobat. I am saving the PDFs as I always have and like I stated in my original post, if I open a two-page PDF that I saved last week, last month or last year, etc.(using the same methods, settings), it prints correctly.

What methods should I mention? I created the document as two artboards, letter sized. Converted all fonts to outlines. Saved as PDF. Opened the PDF in Reader and Acrobat 8. Tried to print with a layout of long-edge binding and short-edge binding and every time the second page is upside down. Nothing I haven't done before and it is working with all documents except those I have created this week.

Screen shot 2013-05-08 at 12.39.56 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-05-08 at 12.40.07 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-05-08 at 12.40.13 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-05-08 at 12.41.18 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-05-08 at 12.41.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a printing issue, not an Illustrator issue. For example, you might try unchecking "Auto-rotate and Center" in the printing options. Otherwise, check your printer settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is because I can open any other two page PDF and with the exact same settings shown as in the box above, print it and it prints correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a printing issue, not an Illustrator issue.

I'm inclined to agree. Logic suggests that if all is as expected in Illustrator, and the saved PDF displays correctly, then those processes aren't broken, and the discrepancy ocurrs subsequently.

No print = no problem

Print = problem

"Inverted page 2" is not a widely-known Illustrator/PDF-related bug-effect, and it stands to reason that if you who have hands-on access to the files, devices, and interfaces haven't find the cause, then no one can do so remotely. The relatively superficial attempts we've made here so far are about all we can do, until/unless someone who has had and solved the same problem comes along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with an Adobe support and the gentlemen told me to uncheck Auto Rotate in Illustrator's print dialog box (see screenshot). I did and that worked for one document only. I have tried the same fix with other documents to no avail. I can still print two page PDFs that I saved last month and last week correctly. And I can print multi-page documents correctly from InDesign. But any PDF that I save now or in this past week won't work. And every print setting remains the same! I have sent the Illustrator file to a colleague and he saved the PDF and the second page is printing upside down for him. But any two-page document that he creates in Illustrator and saves as a PDF prints fine. I have tried using different printers and the same thing happens.

This is really annoying and quite a problem as we print two-page documents frequently. Elinor try the fix below and see if it works for you.Screen shot 2013-05-10 at 11.11.22 AM.png

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you change the Print Preset (dropdown at the top of the Print window) to Default from Custom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ermm.. Didn't I post to uncheck Auto-rotate?

Is this Mac or Windows? 

Have you checked that print drivers are up to date?

Have you reinstalled print drivers?

On the Mac, it can be helpful to remove the printer from the printer preferences in system preferences and then add it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. 

Try this:

Print

Under Basic, choose 2 sided/Booklet Settings (X)

Choose Long Edge (Left)

Click OK

Ok

Also make sure that under the print option that you have flip on long edge as well

GOOD LUCK!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone from 2013 sidelined by this issue can now get back to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, one file from AI I can save its PDF version, and it prints corretly, but another file, also created with Illustrator and then saved as PDF, in the same MacBook, and the second page it's upside down, using the same printer. I even turn around the second page in Illustrator, convert it to PDF... and still printing the other way around! I don't know what could happening :S HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i have the answer

1st install the Printers PS Driver

2nd choose duplex second side printing print on short edge.

the trick is here

you have to select 2 or more copies, themn you will see box that says Collate uncheck that box and print.

i was printing a 8 1/2x 11 doc on 11x17 2 sides

and this worked for me. good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it!!!!!! For me atleast.

So i had been trying to print out my DIY xerox Zine for a couple months and was getting the every other page upside down problem, what I figured out that for me it was a printer setting problem.

If you are using a PC Go to:

Print> Printer Properties> Layout> Image Shift Settings> Click on Same Value for both sides> Make sure the values are checked "Right" and Bottom"> Click OK> Make sure the Image Shift box is checked and> VOILA!

Print ans see the magic happen.

I hope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a Mac computer with Adobe Acrobat and it took some time to figure out how to not have the second-page print upside down. Here's how I fixed this on my computer:

Command P // Printer // Printer Options // Finishing // Select 2-sided printing // select short edge under binding location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines