Highlighted

Segments of circle in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Illustrator doesn't have an especific tool to draw segments of circle in a way more intuitive. It sucks to make it in the current way. Take a look at CorelDRAW way. In there it´s so easy!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

While you can't draw arcs with the circle tool easily, you can draw pies: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/live-shapes.html

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Segments of circle in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Illustrator doesn't have an especific tool to draw segments of circle in a way more intuitive. It sucks to make it in the current way. Take a look at CorelDRAW way. In there it´s so easy!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

While you can't draw arcs with the circle tool easily, you can draw pies: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/live-shapes.html

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, are you really talking about circular segments or rather about arcs or circular sectors?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kurt!

I´m using 2020 version.

When I talk about to draw segments of circle I mean a tool that give you control on the extent of a segment of circle in a free way. In CorelDRAW, for instance, together with the tool 'elipse' there are the options 'pie' and 'arc' with wich you just need pull a point to determine where you want to finish a segment into the 360º circle.

Thank you for your attention!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika!

Bingo! The solution you pointed out solves the problem I have for now. Thank you!

Either way, the arcs in Illustrator still need a tool that works easily, with equal precision and freedom of use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking and dragging with the Arc tool, while holding down your Shift key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're looking for a quarter of a Pie Shape, double-click on the Arc tool and change to a Closed shape. Then hold down your Shift while clicking and draging with the Arc tool.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 6.03.20 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

I do know how Corel Draw works in this matter, but I was not quite sure about your request, because strictly speaking circular segments are not what you are looking for (you are looking for circular sectors which can be drawn easily in recent versions of Illustrator).

Nevertheless, I am also a bit disappointed that there is still no way to draw and control arcs in the same way (and especially that their handles are not smart guides sensitive). I once provided a workaround based on Live Paint, but unfortunately cannot find the link to the topic right now. Moreover, I can imagine that you won't like that workaround too much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kurt!
You're right, making arcs in Illustrator still needs a tool that works easily with more precision and freedom. It is a pity...
Thank you for your contribution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Arc tool is a very good tool, Jeff, but unfortunately it only creates "dead" paths which cannot be adjusted as desired by Bereh (as far I understand it).

Something that was possible in FreeHand about 20 years ago (and some other applications) ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines