Highlighted

Select an object behind another object

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to hold down Command (Mac) or Control (Windows) and click on overlapping objects to select objects underneath. It is not working for me in Illustrator CC 2019. Has this changed in Illustrator CC 2019?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barbara Ash | Adobe Community Professional

Illustrator is quite fussy when using this technique.

Looking into this further, it works best if you move the mouse a little between the first and second click. Also, you may need to release the mouse in order to see the bounding box displayed so that you can identify which object is actually selected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Select an object behind another object

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to hold down Command (Mac) or Control (Windows) and click on overlapping objects to select objects underneath. It is not working for me in Illustrator CC 2019. Has this changed in Illustrator CC 2019?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barbara Ash | Adobe Community Professional

Looking into this further, it works best if you move the mouse a little between the first and second click. Also, you may need to release the mouse in order to see the bounding box displayed so that you can identify which object is actually selected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that Control clicking to select an object underneath seems to work if I click only on the edge of the object, even though I do NOT have Object Selection by Path Only turned on in Preferences. Control click to select objects behind is turned ON in preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering no such change in Illustrator CC 2019 (Mac).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 2007. The Control click to select behind feature is very buggy. I reset preferences and it's still buggy and completely useless.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that I was able to select objects underneath if I Control clicked the number of times that corresponds to how far down the object is in the stacking order. I am not able to see the selection bounding box until I release the mouse.

This is different from the way it used to work, and is no longer a useful technique.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator. Still buggy and inconsistent with this feature.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunate. Sorry not to have a solution to offer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that at least you responded. I'm glad that it's working on Mac OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will soon release 23.0.1 to fix some of the bugs in release 23. However, I noticed that this particular issue is not fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2018 0
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2018 0
Resources