• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select same group in Illustrator CS4

Engaged ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have some trouble selecting groups with the same characteristics. Basically, a group is made of several elements. There are several groups of this kind. I want to select one such group and then select all the same groups of this kind. Unfortunately, anything I try in Select>Same only selects one element of the group, not the whole group. As a result, I can select the same element in all the groups of this kind but not all the groups of this kind! Is there a way out?

This is for CS4. Thanks.

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Unfortunately, the current selection commands cannot do what you want in this case, Steven.

They only do recognise very simple attributes and not mixed things as per your description.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Select > Same selection routines may just not work as you do expect at the moment.

Also, it is not obvious what you mean by "groups with the same characteristics".

Perhaps you can clarify a bit. Perhaps a solution may then be possible.

Also, it is always helpful to share a sample .ai file with some instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt. Thanks for the reply. A group could be as simple as a rectangle object with a type object on top, grouped together. Then copy the group and paste, changing just the text. Then you would have two groups with the same characteristics (the only difference being the text content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the current selection commands cannot do what you want in this case, Steven.

They only do recognise very simple attributes and not mixed things as per your description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that is right unfortunately, Kurt. I can select the same symbol instance but not the same group. Or I should say that selecting the same characteristics (of some sort, like appearance) for a group does not produce the expected result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with Kurt's response. You may check out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-objects.html for more information about selecting objects in Adobe Illustrator. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines