Highlighted

Selection tool issues

New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just recently started happening, this week.  I try to select an object, it won't select, or it will select an object nearby.  The selection tool has a small black box with dots around it next to it.  As I try to resize the object I can't resize properly then try to undo and it takes me back multiple steps.  I've never had this happen.  I've tried "Show bounding box" but that is not the issue.  Not sure what's wrong.  I've tried restarting computer, uninstall/reinstall Illustrator.  Sound familiar to anyone? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selection tool issues

New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just recently started happening, this week.  I try to select an object, it won't select, or it will select an object nearby.  The selection tool has a small black box with dots around it next to it.  As I try to resize the object I can't resize properly then try to undo and it takes me back multiple steps.  I've never had this happen.  I've tried "Show bounding box" but that is not the issue.  Not sure what's wrong.  I've tried restarting computer, uninstall/reinstall Illustrator.  Sound familiar to anyone? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your Preferences?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did.  I tried uninstall/reinstall, resetting preferences, "bounding box".  The only thing that works is trashing the doc and starting over.  It must be some shortcut or command I'm accidentally hitting and can't figure out what to search for to fix.  The multiple undos, not being able to select my object or transform it.  It's happened several times and I just end up deleting the file and starting over.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of that cursor.

Which version on which system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC 2018 on a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.

Here is a screenshot of what it did this morning.  Wouldn't select that text behind the cursor and this is how the cursor looks when this issue is happeningcursor.png.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try if updating Illustrator to CC2018.1 solves the issue?

Also: which pointing devices do you use? Is there perhaps a graphic tablet connected? Does the issue also happen without it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allisonr98162785  wrote

Wouldn't select that text behind the cursor...

Which text wouldn't it select? The green path that is a “C” appears to be selected.

Are the other shapes Paths or live text?

Does Cmd + A work to select?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've converted all this text to paths, true.  But on a previous file this same issue happened with live text.  The screenshot does show it selected by Direct Selection (A), but the Selection Tool (V) with the bounding box won't select properly, can't move around the object/text, can't use the bounding box corners to transform/resize, then the Command Z or undo will go back or forth several steps.... very frustrating.  I don't know how to recreate the issue, but it has occurred three times this week alone (once in front of my manager and I looked like I didn't know what I was doing! ).  Never had this issue before the past several days on this particular computer or any other computer ever.  That's why I tried uninstall/reinstall first... I figured there was a bug in the latest update I installed.  I've checked creative cloud since I reinstalled and there does not appear to be a new update to install either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allison,

Sorry to hear about this.

Please try these steps.

1) Boot system to safe boot with the same account and check how it works, if it works fine close all third party running services. For details click here Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If still does not work,

2) Log in to root account  For details check here How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support

Check how the application works there, If it works fine

• Go to Location ~/Library/Preferences
  • Right-click preferences folder and click get info
  • Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
  • Change permissions to read and write.
  • Click the Action pop-up menu, then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”
  • If you do not see your account there click on plus symbol on the bottom left corner and add account and follow same steps

permissions 1.png

Follow same steps for

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application support

/Library/Preferences

/Library/Caches

/Library/Application support

Note: If you are on office system, these (/Library/Application Support and /Library/Preferences) folders may or may not allow you to add the user, that is completely fine.

Then reboot the system back to the normal account

and check performance.

Regards

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also new to Illustrator and I seem to have an issue similar to Allison's problem with the select/direct select tools.

When using either the select or direct select tool, the tool's cursor displays along with an additional icon directly offset right (see item in orange callout).

When the additional icon displays, functions are disabled within the tool.

How do I remove the additional icon and restore normal tool function?

Thank you.

Select Cursor.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 12.01.43 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just noticed when I quit the program to exit and start over it always treats it as if the program crashed.  even though I manually quit the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I just had this issue and saw a quick tutorial online. Try under View-Show Bounding Box, that should do it.

All the best,

GB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
jgroup LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had a similar problem with the cursor selecting objects that are about a half inch or more away from it.  This is aggravating as unwanted objects always getting unintentionally selected. I've changed the preferences in the application and in the library, and this annoying thing keeps happening and slowing down my workflow. This has been happening for years, and I always thought this was Adobe's idea of an "improvement" by making the precise selection of objects completely impossible. What gives?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines