Highlighted

Selection tool not allowing resize

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this (although I've got eye problems tonight and may have missed it). At any rate, here is my problem...

I rely a lot on the main selection tool (the dark pointer) to select and resize my objects, but lately in Illustrator CS4 (just today, actually) the selection rectangle/border is no longer appearing when an item is selected. I double and triple checked the View/Hide Edges (Command-H) and it's definitely not that.

I tried trashing the preferences but that didn't seem to work. Is there something else I should try?

I'm running CS4 on a Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac in Leopard (10.5.6).

This is really irritating, so thanks for any help.
View -> Show Bounding Box ( Shift - Command - B ) ?

RE
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selection tool not allowing resize

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this (although I've got eye problems tonight and may have missed it). At any rate, here is my problem...

I rely a lot on the main selection tool (the dark pointer) to select and resize my objects, but lately in Illustrator CS4 (just today, actually) the selection rectangle/border is no longer appearing when an item is selected. I double and triple checked the View/Hide Edges (Command-H) and it's definitely not that.

I tried trashing the preferences but that didn't seem to work. Is there something else I should try?

I'm running CS4 on a Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac in Leopard (10.5.6).

This is really irritating, so thanks for any help.

RE
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 11, 2009 6
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 25
Explorer ,
May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @RazorsEdge !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 24, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I must have hit that key combination sometime today without realizing it. Believe it or not, but in all my years of using Illustrator, I don't recall ever using that command. Weird.

I feel like such a noob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 3
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened probably when you were trying to ungroup "SHIFT + COMMAND+ G" the B key is just under G so that could be it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2016 0
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone makes he same error somewhere along the line and the first time it happens you just can't imagine what happened. It is pretty universal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 1
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then of course there's the Scale tool and you don't need bounding boxes to use that. Personally I have always disliked bounding boxes because of the visual clutter they cause, especially when working with type. It can sometimes be difficult to see whether you're dealing with point or area type if you've got bounding boxes running. But that's just a matter of taste and I'm sure a lot of ex-Freehanders will disagree with me. Can't be bothered to enter that minefield just now :-)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Can't be bothered to enter that minefield just now

Then why did you bring it up?

Fact is, FreeHand is less visually cluttered than AI.

JET

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2009 0
Resources