Highlighted

Selection tool not working in Illustrator CC2020 on Windows 10

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the current version of Illustrator and cannot get my selection tool to move objects.  I have tried everything and nothing is working.  Any help would be appreciated.

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selection tool not working in Illustrator CC2020 on Windows 10

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the current version of Illustrator and cannot get my selection tool to move objects.  I have tried everything and nothing is working.  Any help would be appreciated.

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any system info or other specific details nobody can tell you much. Just saying that it doesn't work is simply not useful.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10 and the latest version of Illustrator.  Any item that I select highlights with a bounding box and shows the edges, but when I click on the item to move it, the item does not move.  I am not an expert by any means, but I have been using various versions of Illustrator since 2005 and I have never had this happen.  If you can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Does it happen on a specific file or all files?
Please try resetting the preferences of Illustrator. Follow the instructions below to do that:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Also, please make sure you have Windows and GPU updated to the latest version. Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello sir,

Is there any way in which i can do he same for Adobe illustrator 2020 version 24.0 on my MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. If you wish to reset preferences on a mac, please follow this help article. To do it manually, you may follow the instructions below:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines