• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection Tool not working on some images

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to arrange some embedded images in Illustrator to create a pattern. Using the Selection tool, I am able to click on all the images to move them, except for one. All the images are PNGs that were created the same way, placed in Illustrator, and then embedded. I have tried to delete the image and place/embed it again, but I still cannot select it with the Selection tool unless I move my cursor to the edge of the bounding box and select the bounding box, or unless I click and drag over the image to select it. Once it's been selected, I still have to move the image by clicking right on the bounding box edge to do so. This is obviously frustrating, as it inhibits workflow because of A) not being able to remember which specific image I have to be so specific about and B) when the image overlaps other images, I could easily click on the wrong thing if not being super precise and careful.

I have checked my Selection & Anchor Display prefences, and the "Object Selection by Path Only" is not checked. I have restarted my computer 3x and it is still doing this, and I have recently updated my Illustrator.

**EDIT: I just realized there is actually another image that this is now happening with in the same file.

***SECOND EDIT: I get the names of Direct Selection and Selection tool confused all the time. I have been using the Selection tool.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the Selection Tool (black arrow) instead of the Direct Selection Tool? I'm wondering if that will get you what you need. Also, can you select the image and take a screen shot for us to see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry, I get the names confused! I am using the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am trying to take a screenshot, but my cursor won't show up in the screenshot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, sorry for the image quality, but I ended up taking photos of my screen with my phone in order to get the cursor in the image. The red circle is one of the images I have a problem with, and the green triangle does not have this issue. Nothing is locked, there are no clipping masks.

Image is selected. Cursor indicates that image is moveable by clicking on bounding box.Image is selected. Cursor indicates that image is moveable by clicking on bounding box.

Image is selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image, but now indicates that nothing will move when clicked.Image is selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image, but now indicates that nothing will move when clicked.

Image is not selected. Cursor hovering on top of image, yet indicates that nothing will be selected when clicked.Image is not selected. Cursor hovering on top of image, yet indicates that nothing will be selected when clicked.

Image is not selected. Cursor is hovering over bounding box, and now indicates that the image will be selected when clicked.Image is not selected. Cursor is hovering over bounding box, and now indicates that the image will be selected when clicked.

Image is selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image and indicates that the image will be moveable when clicked.Image is selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image and indicates that the image will be moveable when clicked.

Image is not selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image and indicates that the image is selectable if clicked.Image is not selected. Cursor is hovering on top of image and indicates that the image is selectable if clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On these images I can't see the cursor or the bounding box or the anchor points or what's in the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably there is a clipping mask applied to it. Can you open the layers panel and check that? And if so you can release the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no clipping mask applied. It is just an image, and in the layers panel, when selected, it is just an image, not a group or clip group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post looking for the answer to this same issue. There was no solution here, so I experimented more with what I have. I'm not sure if this is a solution to this issue everytime, but I found what was causing it in my situation.

I placed two images that are 900x900(px). I was unable to select them except for by clicking exactly on the border. Also, unable to move them except by clicking on the border.

The images were 900x900(px), 900"x900" at 1ppi. I opened the images in photoshop and resized them to 900x900(px), 3"x3" at 300ppi. When I switched back to Illustrator the links updated and I was then able to manipulate them normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just recently have the same issue. I tried several methods here but the issue are still the same. What i noticed is that if the PNG image size is large lets say 4000x4000 px and you resize it to 100x100 px in illustrator, it will show this problem, but if you resize the image to 100x100px in photoshop and placed it in illustrator, you will be able to select anywhare in the image. Hope this method works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly encounter this problem with embedded images. i am unable to select them by clicking anywhere on the image. the only way that works is to select the bounding box edge which isn't apparent outside of outline mode when using images with transparent backgrounds.  unembedding the image returns selection to its normal behaviour. quite frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot that has the image and the layers panel in it. Layer panel must be open so we can see the image in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in isolation mode.

Everything that is outside of the current isolated element, cannot be selected.

And unfortunately by going into isolation mode you have made the hierachical top objects invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image itself is within the isolated element and is selected. The issue
is I can only select it by its bounding edge when it is embedded. Why would
the behavior change when it is a linked image rather than embedded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying this out myself I do not see a difference of behaviour with linked images or embedded ones.

There is only a difference when you turn on "Selection by path only" in Preferences > Selection & Anchor display. But that applies to both embedded and linked images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines