Highlighted

Selection Tool Won't Resize

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator was working fine for me all last week and I've never had a problem using the selection tool to grab and resize my objects but for some reason today my selection tool will only SELECT objects, not resize them.  Upon approaching the corner of an object, the black arrow remains but a small white square appears at the bottom right instead of the entire cursor turning into resizing/rotating arrows.  I tried restarting my computer to no avail.  It happens on objects I create as well as objects that I place in.  Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Bitty,

View>Show Bounding Box (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B).

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selection Tool Won't Resize

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator was working fine for me all last week and I've never had a problem using the selection tool to grab and resize my objects but for some reason today my selection tool will only SELECT objects, not resize them.  Upon approaching the corner of an object, the black arrow remains but a small white square appears at the bottom right instead of the entire cursor turning into resizing/rotating arrows.  I tried restarting my computer to no avail.  It happens on objects I create as well as objects that I place in.  Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Bitty,

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 20, 2009 8
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bitty,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2009 29
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.  And thank you for not making a snide comment on my lack of knowledge on the topic -- I'm still taking classes!  You made my day

I would have been so frustrated trying to figure that out!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2009 5
Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Bitty.

The Bounding Box becoming hidden is a recurring issue that has hit many users, including many experienced ones. It may be switched inadvertedly by the user, but it may also be caused by corruption of the preferences in the aiprefs file, something that may happen when Illy is closed down.

There are many things you have to know and cannot Read in The Fine Manual, such as the unavailability of keyboard shortcuts starting with Alt/Option when Caps Lock is on.

Apart from that I may be curt and even obtuse, but I never make snide comments.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2009 5
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! this happened to me, was driving me crazy, u never realize how important that little feature is, til you are under deadline, and cant figure out what happened or what you might have clicked by accident to change settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2015 1
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem. And you helped me resolve it. Thank you!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I have been using it for years, I came in this morning and that was happening to me first thing! I thought I was going crazy at first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a bunch of trouble with this. My bounding box is showing and the only thing that it will let me do with an object is round the corners and move the object. This never happened until the new update and I have no idea why. Please help. I am getting really angry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The object is a rectangle?

That's a known bug with certain systems. use the free transform tool instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2015 1
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG THANKS! Bitty!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. OMG! Thank you so much. I never changed the settings, so I couldn't understand what happened.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 1
New Here ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. That issue has been stressing me up. I think I changed the settings as I was trying to un-group some objects using Ctrl+shift+G and I accidentally hit B instead of G.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2018 0
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

njengasheba,

It is even easier to mishit Ctrl+H (Show/Hide Edges), other commands closing in on all sides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2018 0