• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection Tool Won't Resize

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator was working fine for me all last week and I've never had a problem using the selection tool to grab and resize my objects but for some reason today my selection tool will only SELECT objects, not resize them.  Upon approaching the corner of an object, the black arrow remains but a small white square appears at the bottom right instead of the entire cursor turning into resizing/rotating arrows.  I tried restarting my computer to no avail.  It happens on objects I create as well as objects that I place in.  Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Bitty,

View>Show Bounding Box (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+B).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Bitty. You saved my day.

I've been wondering around for a while. Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason this issue has recently been happening again. This must be the third time I searched and found your solution. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are thrice welcome, Jeff.

You can turn this into a Bookmark (or similar in your browser) for future use and save the search.

It is probably a keyboard mishit for a nearby keystroke shortcut that seemingly failed to work, and your failing to realize that something else may have happened, then just trying again and getting it right and forgetting about it; the most likely one may be Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+G for Ungroup.

Ctrl/Cmd+H is probably the most frequent keyboard mishit, completely surrounded by other keyboard shorcuts, closing in on all sides.

Anyroad, it is always nice to see old threads live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! I just had the same issue.  The solution is simple, and now I know it. Thanks to you!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, skae4ka.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that don't even work for me i have the box and it still doesn't let me resize it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Scale Tool work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG !

Thanks !! ❤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, AM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...What if I have the bounding box on...but it only lets me resize the bounding box, when I want to it to drag and resize the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ok...What if I have the bounding box on...but it only lets me resize the bounding box, when I want to it to drag and resize the text?"

You might want to tell us some details of what you want to do - scale an area text?

Use the scale tool for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I actually figured it out. I needed to double click on that little circle to the right to change the it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saved my life!THANK U!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on Bounding Box doesn't help. MacOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c), iMac. Illustrator 27.7.0

I get "This operation cannot be completed becauses of an unknown error (NOKY) when I try to shift > drag a corner of the boounding box. Also happens when I use the "Scale" option in the Tools palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marshall,

Yours look more like a corruption issue.

Is it happening with only one object/path, or only with artwork within one document, or with any artwork in any document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With any object, vector or placed image.

I'm testing, and it may be that this only happens with previous images (not sure starting when), but if I create a new doc and a new vector image, it seems to resize ok. Need to test a bit further on this. Also If I place a previous vector object in the new doc, the problem persists with that object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

marshall,

From your description, I believe it is a document corruption (rather than a general corruption). It can happen sometimes for some, just like preference corruption.

You can try to rescue parts of the ailing document by pasting one or more at a time into a new one, then go back when it goes wrong and try with something else, to see how much survives, if anything. And then create the missing parts anew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines