Shading on a dome using gradients

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moss5E88_0-1617687909021.png

I have an axonometric drawing of a dome on top of a cylinder, and I need to shade this to show lighting and form. My best attempts are using a radial gradient for the top spherical section, and a freeform line gradient for the cylinder, but I can't achieve a smooth transistion between the two. 

Moss5E88_1-1617688170243.png

Whilst I'm happy with the top section, I'm unsure how to go about this to creat the effect I'm after, though I suspect that using two seperate gradients may be complicating things.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Participant , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021
You should work on the top object. You may try to make bottom part's opacity "0" from the Gradient Panel if you can control that part as individual from the other parts of the shape.Or you can try to "make mask" from Transparency panel by duplicating top object with the only Black color on the back part of the shape so that you can mask the shape with this duplicated shape and it will give you melting area at the bottom.

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should work on the top object. You may try to make bottom part's opacity "0" from the Gradient Panel if you can control that part as individual from the other parts of the shape.

Or you can try to "make mask" from Transparency panel by duplicating top object with the only Black color on the back part of the shape so that you can mask the shape with this duplicated shape and it will give you melting area at the bottom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, I was able to use a gradient from white to transparent for the top part, on top of a simple gradient for the entire base.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

your welcome!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines