Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shading to produce shadow

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I do not use AI often, but when I do it is mostly for maps and the drawing of artefacts. I have a version of CS5. Until recently, I could use the pen tool or the paintbrush to apply the fine or coarse sandstone swatch that would produce dotted shading - the more applications of the tools in the one spot would produce a darker shade as more dots were added, and one could produse a great effect of shadowed and lighted areas. 

A few months back I got a new computer; and now when doing the same action using the sandstone swatch there is no addition to the density of dots apart from that put down in the first application. I can no longer produce a combination of many applications. 

I have tried adding an extra layer, but that does not work.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to have mutliple applications added to a single area?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply multiple fills and strokes in the Appearance panel, and you can even rearrange them to change the stacking order. There's a tutorial covering the Appearance panel in Illustrator CS5 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ky-xfwS3w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess you used a Pattern brush. 

You can open one of your old files, copy an object that has the pattern brush applied and paste it into a new file to use it. Or open such an old file as a brush library to get the brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines