• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape builder slowed down

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I make more shapes with the shape builder tool, each shape takes longer to make. This makes sense, though is there a way to increase the speed? This is a snapshot of my layers panel and what I'm making.

Alternatively, is there a way to create what I'm creating (a deli basked liner; a checkered pattern that is not uniform) that wouldn't take so much time due to Illustrator processing it (I don't mind pressing each shape; just the time Illustrator takes to process it).

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

This will never be a particularly quick thing no matter what technique you use. A simple math thing. You know, checking for self-intersections and all that is complicated vector math stuff. You could of course start by creating multiple smaller Live Paint Groups instead of a single big one. for the visual appearance it won't matter, anyway. Otehr than that expanding and cleaning up every now and then may be advisable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Instead of shape builder, try the live paint tool (K). I don't think you would experience noticeable slowdown on objects like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will never be a particularly quick thing no matter what technique you use. A simple math thing. You know, checking for self-intersections and all that is complicated vector math stuff. You could of course start by creating multiple smaller Live Paint Groups instead of a single big one. for the visual appearance it won't matter, anyway. Otehr than that expanding and cleaning up every now and then may be advisable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using Live Paint and had no problems with speed. Thanks for the tip 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of shape builder, try the live paint tool (K). I don't think you would experience noticeable slowdown on objects like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Live paint did the trick! I hadn't heard of the Live Paint tool previously. Thanks so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines