• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape builder tool not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come my shape builder tool is not working?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

terryg99113235  schrieb

How exactly are you using it?

You need to first select your objects.

Then use the shapebuilder tool

If you did select your objects, then please go into the details about "not working".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Hey! I know this is like a very old thread but I was having a similar problem and no answer here helped me. However, for me, the reason why the shape builder tool wasn't working was that I had a mask active on my shapes (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS TURNED OFF, I HADN'T 'RELEASED' OR DELETED THE MASK). Releasing the masks (after deleting everything from the mask layer) solved the problem and I was able to use the shape builder tool as usual. So this is one of the things you might wanna check

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it worked before and it suddenly stopped working?

Try Trashing Preferences AI: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

What sort of shapes are you "building" with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

terryg99113235  schrieb

How exactly are you using it?

You need to first select your objects.

Then use the shapebuilder tool

If you did select your objects, then please go into the details about "not working".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a moment i felt like are u watching me or what??anyways thanks for the comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha.. this technique worked for me too. i didn't selected the objects. That's why its showing the disable symbol of shape builder tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

Were you able to get Shape Builder to work? Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wren,

My shape builder tool also is not working. No clipping masks, no stroke. Literally trying to combine a rectangle to a few other rectangles. I've restarted my computer and got it to work once out of about 100 tries. Nothing fancy at all. I'd rather use this tool then draw it out with the pen to ensure my die lines are consistent. Using the latest version of AI on CC - no updates available. Running macOS Sierra - 10.12.6.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

454353252345234  schrieb

Hi Wren,

My shape builder tool also is not working. No clipping masks, no stroke. Literally trying to combine a rectangle to a few other rectangles. I've restarted my computer and got it to work once out of about 100 tries. Nothing fancy at all. I'd rather use this tool then draw it out with the pen to ensure my die lines are consistent. Using the latest version of AI on CC - no updates available. Running macOS Sierra - 10.12.6.

Thanks!

What exactly are you doing step by step?

Please show screenshots of your artwork (and of the layers panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's too late, but... I had an issue with a shaper, it didn't join two objects.

Then I deactivated stroke and realized that there is a gap between shapes. With just a fill I was able to use shaper )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I know this is like a very old thread but I was having a similar problem and no answer here helped me. However, for me, the reason why the shape builder tool wasn't working was that I had a mask active on my shapes (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS TURNED OFF, I HADN'T 'RELEASED' OR DELETED THE MASK). Releasing the masks (after deleting everything from the mask layer) solved the problem and I was able to use the shape builder tool as usual. So this is one of the things you might wanna check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my issue! Thank you for posting this! I was trying to edit some shapes inside of a clipping mask, and nothing was working.

Please release your mask if you need to work with shapes contained within them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this!  It was driving me mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does it do this and how can I fix it. I am trying to move from illustrator to indesign but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work out.

question 1.GIFquestion 2.GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread and tell us what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encounter this problem when working on circles and lines so even though I reset the preference it's no use.
I solved my problem when I click Expand ( Object > Expand > Ok ) to my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, my shape builder tool always gives me a different shape from my actual shape drawn, a more curvy look and not a straight outline and also my lines get large whenever I create a new page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I've just had this problem and I managed to find a solution. 

What I did was reset my workspace to default (Window- Workspace- Reset layout) and the shape builder tool was working again. Hope this helps someone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am also having the same issue! my shapebuilder is not working, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Alessandra35939602nu98  schrieb:

Hello! I am also having the same issue! my shapebuilder is not working, please help!

Please show a screenshot of your selected artwork and the layers panel and tell us exactly what is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines