Highlighted

Shape builder tool not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come my shape builder tool is not working?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

terryg99113235  schrieb

How exactly are you using it?

You need to first select your objects.

Then use the shapebuilder tool

If you did select your objects, then please go into the details about "not working".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shape builder tool not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

terryg99113235  schrieb

If you did select your objects, then please go into the details about "not working".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it worked before and it suddenly stopped working?

Try Trashing Preferences AI: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

What sort of shapes are you "building" with?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

terryg99113235  schrieb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a moment i felt like are u watching me or what??anyways thanks for the comment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

Were you able to get Shape Builder to work? Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Wren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wren,

My shape builder tool also is not working. No clipping masks, no stroke. Literally trying to combine a rectangle to a few other rectangles. I've restarted my computer and got it to work once out of about 100 tries. Nothing fancy at all. I'd rather use this tool then draw it out with the pen to ensure my die lines are consistent. Using the latest version of AI on CC - no updates available. Running macOS Sierra - 10.12.6.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

454353252345234  schrieb

Hi Wren,

My shape builder tool also is not working. No clipping masks, no stroke. Literally trying to combine a rectangle to a few other rectangles. I've restarted my computer and got it to work once out of about 100 tries. Nothing fancy at all. I'd rather use this tool then draw it out with the pen to ensure my die lines are consistent. Using the latest version of AI on CC - no updates available. Running macOS Sierra - 10.12.6.

Thanks!

What exactly are you doing step by step?

Please show screenshots of your artwork (and of the layers panel).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's too late, but... I had an issue with a shaper, it didn't join two objects.

Then I deactivated stroke and realized that there is a gap between shapes. With just a fill I was able to use shaper )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I know this is like a very old thread but I was having a similar problem and no answer here helped me. However, for me, the reason why the shape builder tool wasn't working was that I had a mask active on my shapes (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS TURNED OFF, I HADN'T 'RELEASED' OR DELETED THE MASK). Releasing the masks (after deleting everything from the mask layer) solved the problem and I was able to use the shape builder tool as usual. So this is one of the things you might wanna check

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my issue! Thank you for posting this! I was trying to edit some shapes inside of a clipping mask, and nothing was working.

Please release your mask if you need to work with shapes contained within them. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines