Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape Builder Tool Problem

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.

I'm having this issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have a couple of objects selected. One of them won't seem to "grey out" so that I can merge the objects. Haven't had this issue with any other objects in the design. The object in question isn't grouped. See video. Help? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Thanks for sharing that. The problem seems to be that the large construction is a Compound Shape, and the Shape Builder Tool requires simple paths. Go to either the Object menu > Expand Appearance or to the Pathfinder panel and click Expand. The Pathfinder panel flyout menu also has Expand Compound Shape. That should allow the behavior you're expecting.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely cause would be a gap in the path. Check to see if the path is closed, or double-click on the Shape Builder Tool in the Toolbar to bring up the Tool options. See if Gap Detection is active, and if so try adjusting to a greater gap length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Gap Detection with all sizes. Also tried the other various options within the shape builder tool. Still having the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to share the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. A dumbed down version....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d2e557k4cye1ef/ShapeBuildIssue.ai?dl=0

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that. The problem seems to be that the large construction is a Compound Shape, and the Shape Builder Tool requires simple paths. Go to either the Object menu > Expand Appearance or to the Pathfinder panel and click Expand. The Pathfinder panel flyout menu also has Expand Compound Shape. That should allow the behavior you're expecting.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. Thanks for the assist Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand appearance is greyed out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please start a new thread and provide details about your problem? This thread is marked as having a correct answer, and we have no way of knowing whether or not your question is even remotely similar to the original post.

Thanks,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines