Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape X Axis Changes After deleting Anchor Points

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Community,

I was wondering if someone out there can help me.

I have this shape. All dimensions are to a whole point size. When I copy and paste in place and remove the anchor points or even trim to a specific place the x axis changes.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.28.37 am.png Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.29.29 am.png

However, I need to shape to be set to a whole x avis point size. But, doing the shape is either too far over or just a little bit to the other. I understand the width and height values have changed but the shape fits when I move into position. What I would like is for the shape to perfectly align with each other.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.29.38 am.png Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.39.07 am.png

Is there something I am doing fundamently wrong here? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noone replied your post after 3 hours, so I believe they are confused as I am by what you are trying to say. But I will try to answer.

How are you removing and trimming that anchor points. I would drag a line where you want to cut on top of your 3 black u shapes. Then use pathfinder >> divide.

MikeGondek_0-1623379311221.png

To get your points to be on whole numbers turn on snape to pixel grid

MikeGondek_2-1623379311198.png

Set your cursor key distance to a small amount, then nuder and the 2nd option I circled will take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for getting in touch. Pulling my hair out here.

Firstly, I have all those setting applied.

So,

The shape/3 lines sit on a x axis of -7003pt. When I cut the 3 lines (like where you suggested) and remove the left side of the 3 lines from that cut line, the right side sits on a different x axis, something like 6951.3754 pt. You can see this in my 2nd original screenshot.

Why does the x avis value change even though red three lines are sitting perfectly on top of same cut shape.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle,

In both of your images your settings determine that the number shown is the coordinate for the center of the selected item. In the first case, the entire curve is selected, so the X value is the middle of the entire curve. In the second image, only the red portion is selected, with its center lying to the right of the center of the first selection, so it has a higher (or "less negative") value, different from the first.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tromboniator,

Thank you for clearing that up for me, it does make sense.

Would you know what I would need do to able for those shapes to align to a whole point value x axis once cut? Something before or after I make the cut with the centrepoints?

When I export these to Fontself they work by whole points and not by decimal so that is way I need to keep these values.

thanks in advance

kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kyle,

As I (mis)understand it, the black shape set and the red shape set are supposed to form a single letter in a font, and you can select both and see the unchanged X/Y/W/H values, so why worry, and why pull them apart?

In any case they only seem to make sense when fit together to form a continuous shape as in your screenshots, and no X value can help you with that, be it centre as Peter spotted or whichever.

Except that the right side/reference point X value of the red shape (which occurs at the Anchor Point at the top right) must be 205pt higher than the left side/reference point X value (reference point) of the black shape (which occurs between the two leftmost Anchor Point of the leftmost curve).

Presumably they have the same topmost Y value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines