Highlighted

Shapes, dividing

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I divide shapes into different layers?

I need to do this for an app text bubble. I want to be able to split the shape into 9 pieces so that the text bubble maintains its shape in different sizes.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by michelew83603738 | Adobe Community Professional

If it is a text bubble, you could create a square and under Object>Path>Split Into Grid and enter 3 by 3 for the rows and columns. This will split it without adding space. Then you could just round the appropriate corners and reshape the one to be the text bubble shape. Then on the layers panel, go to the pull out menu and Release to Layers - this will put each shape that has been divided into its own layer. If the shapes are more complex, then you will have to use lines to divide with using the pathfinder commands and then use the Release to Layers.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shapes, dividing

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I divide shapes into different layers?

I need to do this for an app text bubble. I want to be able to split the shape into 9 pieces so that the text bubble maintains its shape in different sizes.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by michelew83603738 | Adobe Community Professional

If it is a text bubble, you could create a square and under Object>Path>Split Into Grid and enter 3 by 3 for the rows and columns. This will split it without adding space. Then you could just round the appropriate corners and reshape the one to be the text bubble shape. Then on the layers panel, go to the pull out menu and Release to Layers - this will put each shape that has been divided into its own layer. If the shapes are more complex, then you will have to use lines to divide with using the pathfinder commands and then use the Release to Layers.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a sketch that may clarify your request?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0