• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut for flip horizontal/vertical?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find myself digging this option from the transform pane all the time, is there a way to assign a shortcut for this simple operation?

I can't get a hang of the Reflect-tool for some reason, it's quite clumsy.
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

You're confusing robustness with clumsiness. Just hold down the Shift key at the same time to get basic horizontal/vertical operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double-click on the reflect tool and you get the Horizontal/vertical option. Or (with the same tool) put your cursor on the reflection axis and option-click. This is one of the tools that you seldom need to use manually.
Of course you can do exactly the same with the transform gadget by entering a minus value, but the reflect tool is easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the flip horizontal and vertical commands alot also. But it has never seemed a hassle to get to them. If you keep the transform panel open all the time then it's only two clicks to do either command - one to open the flyout menu and one to select either of the flip commands.

You could also create an action to do them, but that requires the action panel to be open and still takes two clicks. You could however assign a Function Key to the action and reduce the work down to just pressing one key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the request for a keyboard command for flip horizontal, vertical, 90 degrees, -90 degrees, 180 degrees and -180 degrees. Photoshop had this and as a textile designer I use it constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Actions for both operations and use Button Mode so I have a button for each in the Actions panel, along with buttons to rotate 90 degrees clockwise and counterclockwise. The buttons save a lot of effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've wanted a shortcut for flipping for a long time.  I use it a ton.  In Photoshop it's easy.  In Illustrator there's no shortcut.  I assign the horizontal flipping to my "double-clicker" on my wacom pen and then hold down shift to do vertical flipping.

Thanks to tmalcom's suggestion, I have created an action, assigned it the F2 key, and then assigned that to my wacom pen.  This is more complicated than it should be, but at least it'll feel like I'm working as efficiently in Photoshop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned an incredibly quick shortcut in school if you are reflecting so that it ends up perfectly symmetrical.  Click on the Reflect tool, and make sure that your selection that you want to reflect is highlighted.  Hold down the alt key, and click where you would like it to reflect to( for example if you are reflecting half of a shirt, click the middle of the half) Then your options will pop up, and just make sure that you press copy.  Then group the two and bam! You have two perfectly symmetrical and attached halves to make a whole!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to flip horizontally you can, with your object selected, press 'o' and hit enter twice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man, thanks.

Really helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are rock! Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ty so much!

on a side note - this should be first reply in thread - every other response is pretty much irrelevant or purposefully smug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"on a side note - this should be first reply in thread - every other response is pretty much irrelevant or purposefully smug."

The answer just doesn't universally work.

If you have previously used the reflect tool with a horizontal (or any other angled) axis, then that option will be the preset for your next reflection. There are several post with universally working solutions in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the actual answer. ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're confusing robustness with clumsiness. Just hold down the Shift key at the same time to get basic horizontal/vertical operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KrisHunt- Thanks!!! you rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I still dont get it. Hold down the shift key at the same time as what?

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reflection it's  best  to use this script

with its handy toolbar that stays open

Free Illustrator Script – Flip.jsx - Freebies - Vectorboom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,
I found a easy and faster way to flip and reflect.
- Just select the object press "O" then enter
- In popup window select your desired option.
to repeat that same action just press O then Enter twice..
wohlaaa Flipped...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines