• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut to deselect path

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm working with the pen tool, and create just a stroke (not a full shape), I have to go all the way over to the direct selection tool and click in the margin to deselect that one path. I see people on you to make strokes and deselect the current stroke and make another one with out even flinching towards the direct selection tool. So how do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Command/Ctrl-Shift-A will "deselect all"

I'd go mad without that shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grab the Selection Tool (V) or the Direct Selection Tool (A), then grab the Pen Tool (P) and start drawing, to deselect and start drawing a new path, press Ctrl (this temporarily switches to your last selection tool), click anywhere, then release Ctrl and you're ready to draw your next path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I knew the short cut keys, but never thought of doing it like that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command/Ctrl-Shift-A will "deselect all"

I'd go mad without that shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just changed my life soo much right now. You have no clue!!! #scottforpresident

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough that shortcut isn't working for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Does nothing. I'm using Illustrator 2021 25.2.1 

Any other methods?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOESN'T WORK! Animate 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrander  schrieb:

DOESN'T WORK! Animate 2022

This is the Illustrator forum. Tips posted here might or might not work in Animate. Most of the tools mentioned here do not even exist in Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would go crazy without that answer. Why doesn't in pop up in google search by "deselect pen" query? "Deselect all" does not work!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@andrander  schrieb:

I would go crazy without that answer. Why doesn't in pop up in google search by "deselect pen" query? "Deselect all" does not work!!!

Carlos' answer is ten years old. In the meantime Illustrator has improved a lot. Grabbing the selection tools before drawing with the pen tool is no longer necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines