Highlighted

Shortcut to prevent selected path from being edited when drawing next to it in Illustrator 2020

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you quickly deselect a path you just drew to prevent it from being edited by the next nearby path drawn? 

I have "keep selected" and "edit selected paths" on in the Pencil Tool Options.  However, sometimes I'm drawing hair (or any other object with strokes near each other) and I don't want my next path to modify the one near it.    

Is there a quick keyboard key to press to prevent the selected path editing from happening when drawing another path within the pixel distance? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

The default shortcut for deselecting objects is Shift-Cmd-A.

You can change the shortcut in the Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shortcut to prevent selected path from being edited when drawing next to it in Illustrator 2020

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you quickly deselect a path you just drew to prevent it from being edited by the next nearby path drawn? 

I have "keep selected" and "edit selected paths" on in the Pencil Tool Options.  However, sometimes I'm drawing hair (or any other object with strokes near each other) and I don't want my next path to modify the one near it.    

Is there a quick keyboard key to press to prevent the selected path editing from happening when drawing another path within the pixel distance? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to deselecting the path you just drew, you may want to set the Edit selected path to 1 pixel when you are doing hair. This will also decrease the likelihood of having it redraw the nearby path.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Resources