• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple overlook on any intro demo to explain How to change resolution settings on new documents.

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is frustrating not having control to change or even choose via custom file when deciding 72dpi vs 300dpi

it seems when I choose Print it does this by default. However, when choosing custom.

like I am trying to create a Album cover for a 12in by 12in LP vinyl record sleeve.

it makes the document 72dpi.

thus it us extremely small and even though I know you can change later when moving to raster.

i plan on inDesign .....so the question is this

if the open window asked us between print and web , but on custom there is no such window for ppi Or Dpi, so why am I flummoxed and also get 72 dpi assigned by default without any tutorial explaining such an important step that makes or breaks your success.

all the rest is how too eye candy in my opinion.

who cares if you can swipe two fingers.....if the project is not setup as you need to output  the document.

thanks did any insight, I a, grateful

jsm

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Illustrator files are vector based and don't have a resolution.

The ppi setting you mentioned is for raster effects (which create pixels).

Which new document dialog are you using? Both the legacy File New as the newer one have an option to set the document raster effects resolution. In the older one you need to click Advanced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator files are vector based and don't have a resolution.

The ppi setting you mentioned is for raster effects (which create pixels).

Which new document dialog are you using? Both the legacy File New as the newer one have an option to set the document raster effects resolution. In the older one you need to click Advanced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. However this is for the iPad app not the desktop

the need for setting a ppi determines the document size at start so for aome

reason I was trying to start a project for class and it had requirements for an Ai document. Using the iPad app there was no easy way to setup using the templates and no way to set this as a feature on New. So it open at some default not able to set as there is no advance tab on the new iPad app. Maybe there is a update since I tried that a few months ago. Please show a photo as I n is this would help solve for many others as well as show Adobe team how to update the quirk. I was watching all demos and to no such luck as iPad demos are limited in scope . I hope this feature becomes more clear. As I know vector is not raster but ppi was still a requirement by the graphic design professor. Why this was the requirement I still do not know but the only workaround I think was to open it on the desktop and then try to edit on iPad which it should be the other way around. Starting sketch or illustrator idea on iPad then finished on desktop if need be. Thanks for the help Ton! You answered this question as it has been weeks or tried to answer! 

I should have gone online as Adobe max was going on at the same time!   Could have learned much more. Indeed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did not mention it was for the iPad.

There is a separate forum for that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-on-the-ipad/bd-p/illustrator-for-the-ipad?page=1&sort=lat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines