Highlighted

Simple (?) question about expanding an outline

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a horseshoe I want to put in a box.  To make it look nice (and keep it from sliding around) I want to laser cut a cutout in a piece of acrylic that conforms to the horseshoe.  I've placed a photo of the horseshoe into Illustrator, converted it to a path, and scaled the path to match the horseshoe (see attached inage).  Of course, I need the cutout a little bigger than the horseshoe, but if I just scale it up then the geometry changes so that the horseshoe won't fit in the cutout.  Is there a way to make the cutout "wider," measured from the cutout's centerline, without changing the centerline?  I think that's what I want, if that makes sense.  Thanks for any tips.

Horseshoe cutout.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Effect > Path > Offset path.

When you're done adjusting it: Object > Expand appearance

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Simple (?) question about expanding an outline

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a horseshoe I want to put in a box.  To make it look nice (and keep it from sliding around) I want to laser cut a cutout in a piece of acrylic that conforms to the horseshoe.  I've placed a photo of the horseshoe into Illustrator, converted it to a path, and scaled the path to match the horseshoe (see attached inage).  Of course, I need the cutout a little bigger than the horseshoe, but if I just scale it up then the geometry changes so that the horseshoe won't fit in the cutout.  Is there a way to make the cutout "wider," measured from the cutout's centerline, without changing the centerline?  I think that's what I want, if that makes sense.  Thanks for any tips.

Horseshoe cutout.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  Thanks.  What would have happened if I didn't perform Object > Expand appearance?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laser cutter will only see the original path or do other funky stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0