New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can someone please help?

In illustrator CS6 i could select numerous lines, ie Numerous Contour Lines,

and then 

select Object/Path/Simplify-and could easily change the amounts to smooth these lines out (lets say 95%).

In CC its seems that no longer you have the option to do this step, or am i missing something? I am new to CC so if someone could help me that would be great

Regards

D

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have chosen Object > Path > Simplify...

Click the 3 dots at the right of the panel for more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a MAPublisher user, I can't update to Illustrator 2020, so I'm trying to figure out how to get the old Simplify tool working in 23.1.1.  I'd like to follow the instructions given in 

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/38726365-pl...

where user Rivas recommends replacing the Simplify.aip plug-in tool of version 23.1.1 with the plug-in of 23.0.3. I found the Simplify.aip plug-in, but I can't figure out where to put it so Illustrator 2019 will make use of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't answer my question about how to put the old Simplify tool back in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In version 24 you could set as a preference to open the dialog box immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't answer my question about how to get the OLD Simplify tool back into 23.1.1, as explained in my original message. 

I do not wish to install 24 at this time, both because MAPublisher plugins won't work with it and because of reports of poor performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we don't really have that kind of access to the tools under the hood. there isn't really such a thing as just "getting the OLD tools working" in a newer/different version of the app. We don't get to pick and choose which pen tool and which gradient tool etc.

If CS6 had the functionality you need, your curent version does not have the functionality you need, and you will not upgrade to a version that does have the functionality that you need... then I recommend using CS6 to accomplish that task.

I should also note that you can still upgrade to version 24 without deleting old versions. You can retain old versions on your machine so that, if necessary, you can create the asset in version 24, save it to be compatible with version 23, then open it up in 23 so that you still have access to your plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that the advice given by Rivas in

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/38726365-pl...

will not work?  His message clearly suggests that Simplify is a Plug-in, not an ordinary Tool that's baked into the software build, and that it is possible to go back to the old one.  I'm simply asking in which folder I should put the old Plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you found a solution that works, but you came here asking for a different solution anyway? Or are you saying you tried that and it didn't work and you want help?

I'm not 100% sure  why you're being so hostile while you're asking for help...

edit: here. I did 3 seconds of googling to find the procedure for installing plugins

https://signcut.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/19000035403-how-to-install-the-plugin-for-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not work for me, replacing a newer version by an older, which makes sense, don't mess with the application.

If you want the older behaviour, use the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't even mention what operating system you are using. Well.

Apart from that, a warning notice: Using older Illustrator plugin files in recent versions of Illustrator may or may not work smoothly. In my experience, it's just a matter of time (new Illustrator updates) and you will experience serious issues up to application crashes. The same goes for some native Photoshop plugins which basically can be used in Illustrator, but sooner or later they will not work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  I didn't think it was a big difference any more.  I'm on Mac OS 10.13.6.

Interestingly, putting the old Simplify.aip file in the Plug-Ins folder does seem to work just fine in 23.0—but not in 23.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that is what I tried to say in my previous post: It may or may not work, depending on what version of Illustrator you are using.

All in all it is not going to be a stable workflow ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines