• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator unusably slow and laggy on macOS

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time in the last year, Illustrator (which previously worked just fine) has become unusably slow and laggy on my 2011 iMac. Anyone out there have solutions or work-arounds?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

I had the same problem in Illustrator CC 2018 22.1 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch (2017), Intel i7 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB RAM.

I tried to reinstall without retaining preferences. I tried resetting preferences. Nothing worked.

Strangely enough, for me the solution was disabling the dictation feature of MacOS: Illustrator returned fast.

To confirm this, I tried to re-enable the dictation feature in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Dictation: Illustrato

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 159 Replies 159
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Mac OS, is the Dictation turned off?

Which hardware is it?

What else is running?

What exactly does "a few sessions" mean? Do you reboot the computer regularly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! Answers to your questions:

In your Mac OS, is the Dictation turned off?

• Yes it is turned off (and I've never had it on)

Which hardware is it?

• iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 running Catalina 10.15.7
  • 3.6 GHz 8-Core i9
  • 24 GB RAM
  • Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

What else is running?

• Usually InDesign, Photoshop, Chrome, Microsoft Outlook and Teams

What exactly does "a few sessions" mean? Do you reboot the computer regularly?

• A few sessions means separate occasions where Illustrator was closed, I open it, use it, and then close it again 
  • Yes, I reboot it 3–4 times each week

Keep up the great work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues, please fix v25 let me know when is usable, I'm keeping v24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply move your stuff over to Affinity Designer and you're working at speed of light!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I found in other forums it's the Mac Dictate that is screwing it up. Under Apple's SYSTEM PREFERENCES>ACCESSIBILITY>DICTATION uncheck "Enable the dictation keyword phrase" if that doesn't work disable dication under SYSTEM PREFERENCES>KEYBOARD>DICTATION

I was even able to turn it back on afterwards and Illustrator was fast again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Aaron87243929, thanks for your reply.
Could you provide screenshots? The path you provided does not exist on my OS. There is no DICTATION section under ACCESSABILITY. 

Under my keyboard settings however, there is a dictation panel. It was never on in the first place.

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashutosh,

I regret updating Illustrator. Every time you guys create an update, the performance will be SH!T!!!

Now it's happening again. And the solutions you try to offer don't seem to work.

WTF are you guys doing???!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, I've used illustrator since version 8 and it was absolutely lightning fast compared to any of the CC BS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here OSX v.25.0.1

I'm on a MBP 2019 maxed out 2,4 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9, 64 GB RAM. Maxed Graphics card...

Had trouble with the previous illustrator version and thought an update would solve it, nope.

SUUUUPER frustrated... I don't have time for this, on a deadline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar machine here 32GB ram. I find AI really chokes if you run scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quickest work around is to RESTART Ai.
Yes this is a hack but it is quick and it works, and most importantly it does not involve the type of crappy advice forwarded by the Adobe (part time) support team who will advise you some long winded BS about navigating through the folders to delete the preferences and then leave you with having to work without your personal set-up.... with the problem still persisting.

Re-start or go back to a recent older version of Ai if you can. Adobe will eventually fix the issue (we hope)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this doesn't work. My Illustrator 25 is always slow. Even when first launched after a reboot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac, Big Sur 11.0.1 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I have tried softwear updates, unstalling and reinstalling, turning off dictation, have called apple. 

This version of AI is so slow and laggy and crashing using the simpliest of files. So furstrating when under a deadline... considering going back to Catalina and 2020 when everything worked. 

Adobe, what is going on here. My computer is only 3 years old and it's becoming so frustrating to get any work done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to close AI after creating a relatively small set of objects. When I re-open it's faster for a while then starts to slow down again. If I am using AI all day, I kill it and restart it 5x.

My MBP is 2019, 8-core i9 with 32GB of ram. Not a hardware problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue but installed an older version and it works much better. Another sucky update from Adobe. I try not to update unless completely necessary. Most Adobe software updates are useless and makes things overall less productive for the end user.. I think they've lost touch with their customer base with these new subscription plans..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MacPro 2020 (7,1) - LATEST Mac Pro, Big Sur 11.1

3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

96GB 2933 DDR4 memory

AI has gotten slower and slower with past updates...the last verison (AI v24) was very usable.

Now since the update to v25 its complettely unsuable...like others have indicated extremely laggy with just about every single task...like simply selecting an object lags. I've also have gotten random crashes for no reason with Photoshop.

I've stuck around with Adobe since 1990s but switching to Affinity apps is looking more and more appealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some more testing, seems like turning on "GPU Performance" helps.

Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance

Would like to know if this also helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suffering the same extremely slow performance with Illustrator v25.0.1 in MacOS 10.15.7.  I am running a powerful Mac Pro with oodles of RAM and a high-end GPU.  It should be quick.

Based on a recommendation in another forum, I switched colour profile in System Preferences to "Apple RGB".  Illustrator became quick.  I switched back, trying a number of other profiles.  Every single one of them made Illustrator slow.  It only seems to perform well using Apple RGB.  Not Adobe RGB, not of my Xrite calibrations — only Apple RGB.  Why would that be?

Anyway — I hope it's a clue for someone who knows.  I did fire a bug report to Adobe (no response).  Meanwhile others might at least be able to get some work done!

Guy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here — the last few versions have been laggy and terrible. I'm running 25.2.1 on two different MBPs (2017 15" and a 2020 16"), and it's been getting progressively worse on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dropped Â£3K and it is still sloooooooooooooow.

Illustrator 8 was my fav. Fast and lightweight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been so slow I forget AI on my laptop and wait for a desktop computer to become available. I've had no issues until the upgrade to Big Sur. Illustrator is slow and continues to show the spinning wheel of death every time I use a tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 8 was the last great version. It's been 23 years since then and just steadily downhill. Now, drawing single color icons on a maxed out, top of line MBP is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 8 was the last great version.

By @ericp2393910

You should really try out Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no resolution from Adobe? This thread has been live for 18 months.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding to the list. Version 25.2.1.  Keeping up with deadlines is getting harder and harder with Adobe... the 2019 versions were the last good ones. Really wish I could downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines