Slow performance of Illustrator 2021 v25.0 on macOS

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I recently updagreded to version 25.0 on my Macbook Pro. It's an unusable laggy pile of sh*te.

Running macOS Catalina 10.15.7, with a 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 processor, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Intel Iris 1536 MB.

Yes, my machine is a few years old, but why should I have to drop £3K just to run Illustrator?

Software I've been using since version 5.0, with litle to no issues with performace on any system.

Is anybody else sick of this planned obsolescence? The amount of money I've spend on Apple and Adobe products during my career is enourmous.

Taking the p1ss.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you experience this change going from v24 to 25, or an older version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed a deterioation in performance with previous upgrades, but it's fallen off a cliff with this latest version.

It can take 3-4 seconds for tools to select objects. Cursor jumps, unselected objects being moved. Totally unusable.

Gutted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a deadline atm, so forgive the ranting and typos. I'll try and read up on any issues later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last 3 or 4 versions have been utter trash.

I have almost 3 times the RAM I had in college using AI and somehow it runs worse than it ever has.

My IT ordered Adobe's recommended graphics card, and I still have graphical glitches galore and a 20 basic shape canvas that takes 3 seconds to adjust a point on. Absolutely ridiculous.

My job has been miserable the last few years having to work in this polished turd day after day. It used to be such a great app, but what it has become is a joke. A million new features and I can't even undo reliably anymore. Ridiculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing a similar issue myself. I always stay up-to-date, so I just moved from the previous 24.? to 25.0 this morning. I can't even open Illustrator anymore. It just lags and doesn't respond, then crashes altogether. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted my Mac, removed old drivers, etc. Nada. I'm on a tight deadline as well and this sure as hell isn't helping.

MacOS Mojave, Version 10.14.6; 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i9; 16GB 2400 MHz DDR4; Radeon Pro 560X 4GB; Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues with latency in Illustrator v25.0 
There is literally a 2 second delay to anything I do, whether I am moving/scaling an object, panning the screen, etc. It all adds up and has become a huge time suck.
I am running a Mac Pro 2019 OS Catalina 10.15.7
3.3 GHz 12-core processor, 32 GB memory, 8 GB GPU.
There is no reason Illustrator should be running this slow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Monoboy & @jfi0rin0 

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please try resetting preferences of the Illustrator and let us know if it helps. You may follow the instructions below to do that:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings folders to  Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

@zachstroeher Please try following instructions given on this help article & let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,
I've started changing the names of the folders as instructed, however I don't see one for the location under ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe. There are two folders for Adobe Illustrator 24 & 25. Do I rename one of these?
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.22.14 AM.png

Thank you,

Jared

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these options seemed to work. I've uninstalled Illustrator v.25 and reinstalled it. Now when I open a document, the moment I click on any objrect the entire workspace turns white or blue, making all of my objects invisble. This version of Illustrator is completely unusable being that it is plagued with bugs. I am reintalling Illustrator v.24 until Adobe can work these issues out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this note. It helps get the software running again. However, after using the software for a few sessions the sluggishness comes back, causing me to have to trash all the preferences files again.  I can't emphasize enought that is not a solution! I have my preferences dialed in for my productivity (workspaces, in particular). Rebuilding these (or pulling them from the deleted folders and replacing them in the new structure) immediately brings back the problem. 

My dear Adobe friends, defects like these are to be expected from time to time. This is complex software you are developing. But it seems like, these days, problems aren't getting get addressed in a timely matter (This thread goes back to October and here we are at the end of January still strugglign with this). I've been giving you money for decades to help me be a fluid creator... but now these defects inhibiting my productivity and creativity.

Please address this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Mac OS, is the Dictation turned off?

Which hardware is it?

What else is running?

What exactly does "a few sessions" mean? Do you reboot the computer regularly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! Answers to your questions:

In your Mac OS, is the Dictation turned off?

• Yes it is turned off (and I've never had it on)

Which hardware is it?

• iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 running Catalina 10.15.7
  • 3.6 GHz 8-Core i9
  • 24 GB RAM
  • Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

What else is running?

• Usually InDesign, Photoshop, Chrome, Microsoft Outlook and Teams

What exactly does "a few sessions" mean? Do you reboot the computer regularly?

• A few sessions means separate occasions where Illustrator was closed, I open it, use it, and then close it again 
  • Yes, I reboot it 3–4 times each week

Keep up the great work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues, please fix v25 let me know when is usable, I'm keeping v24

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply move your stuff over to Affinity Designer and you're working at speed of light!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I found in other forums it's the Mac Dictate that is screwing it up. Under Apple's SYSTEM PREFERENCES>ACCESSIBILITY>DICTATION uncheck "Enable the dictation keyword phrase" if that doesn't work disable dication under SYSTEM PREFERENCES>KEYBOARD>DICTATION

I was even able to turn it back on afterwards and Illustrator was fast again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Aaron87243929, thanks for your reply.
Could you provide screenshots? The path you provided does not exist on my OS. There is no DICTATION section under ACCESSABILITY. 

Under my keyboard settings however, there is a dictation panel. It was never on in the first place.

Thank you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashutosh,

I regret updating Illustrator. Every time you guys create an update, the performance will be SH!T!!!

Now it's happening again. And the solutions you try to offer don't seem to work.

WTF are you guys doing???!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, I've used illustrator since version 8 and it was absolutely lightning fast compared to any of the CC BS!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here OSX v.25.0.1

I'm on a MBP 2019 maxed out 2,4 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9, 64 GB RAM. Maxed Graphics card...

Had trouble with the previous illustrator version and thought an update would solve it, nope.

SUUUUPER frustrated... I don't have time for this, on a deadline!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar machine here 32GB ram. I find AI really chokes if you run scripts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quickest work around is to RESTART Ai.
Yes this is a hack but it is quick and it works, and most importantly it does not involve the type of crappy advice forwarded by the Adobe (part time) support team who will advise you some long winded BS about navigating through the folders to delete the preferences and then leave you with having to work without your personal set-up.... with the problem still persisting.

Re-start or go back to a recent older version of Ai if you can. Adobe will eventually fix the issue (we hope)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this doesn't work. My Illustrator 25 is always slow. Even when first launched after a reboot. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac, Big Sur 11.0.1 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I have tried softwear updates, unstalling and reinstalling, turning off dictation, have called apple. 

This version of AI is so slow and laggy and crashing using the simpliest of files. So furstrating when under a deadline... considering going back to Catalina and 2020 when everything worked. 

Adobe, what is going on here. My computer is only 3 years old and it's becoming so frustrating to get any work done

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to close AI after creating a relatively small set of objects. When I re-open it's faster for a while then starts to slow down again. If I am using AI all day, I kill it and restart it 5x.

My MBP is 2019, 8-core i9 with 32GB of ram. Not a hardware problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines