• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth Tool Not Working

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am knew to illustrator but do understand how the smooth tool is supposed to work.  It typically creates a circle and then you run it over the area you want to smooth out and it smoothes out the line.  When I use my smooth tool it just scribbles pencil lines all over the area and does not smooth anything out.  The circle symbol appears but is really small (i thought you could increase it like you can the size of your paint/blob brush).  Maybe that part is normal, but again, it just scribbles lines and does not smooth.  The scribble lines do not stay but only appear as you are trying to smooth the area.  I'm not sure what is wrong and how to get this working like normal.  Thank you for your help!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

tromboniator_0-1601891069254.png

This is the Smooth Tool icon. Clicking it selects the tool, and double-clicking opens a dialog box to set the degree of smoothness.

Instructions for using the tool are here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/simplify_paths.html

Scroll down to Create smooth paths with the Smooth tool.

The gist of it is that the path that you wish to smooth must be selected for the tool to function. And no, the size of the round cursor is not adjustable. The tool only works on the path, and the size of it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show which tool you are using.

Please show screenshots of before and after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & Illustrator? Please share your workflow with us as well. You may share screenshots or a small video of the issue as Monika asked in earlier response. It'll help us understand the issue and assist you accordingly.

I'd also recommend checking out this help article to know how Smooth tool works. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. From the YouTube videos that I've seen the smooth tool is supposed to draw a rectangle over the line that needs smoothing? When I use the smooth tool, the cursor appears as a small circle (like a brush), and it just draws a line that disappears as soon as the mouse button is released. In the picture below, the blue line is the smooth tool in action.

I am using Windows 10, Ai CC 2020.

SmoothTool.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"From the YouTube videos that I've seen"

Who made them? There are some pretty clueless videos available on youtube. And then some more that don't explain anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the person in the video was using an older version of Ai in which the smooth tool worked differently compared to now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tromboniator_0-1601891069254.png

This is the Smooth Tool icon. Clicking it selects the tool, and double-clicking opens a dialog box to set the degree of smoothness.

Instructions for using the tool are here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/simplify_paths.html

Scroll down to Create smooth paths with the Smooth tool.

The gist of it is that the path that you wish to smooth must be selected for the tool to function. And no, the size of the round cursor is not adjustable. The tool only works on the path, and the size of its influence is not changeable. It does not create a rectangle, nor, strictly speaking, does it draw anything, although the path you've followed does show until the click is released.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot. That link was useful. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines