• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solid black box over procreate PDF image in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a graphic designer on a project for my brand and they sent me a vector PDF image that was created in procreate. I have no issues viewing the image in Adobe Acrobat, however when I open the PDF in illustrator it is completely black. See the attached image.

20201216_001740

Has anyone encountered this before? Any help would be appreciated. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator won't convert PDFs try asking for an SVG file from the designer you are working with
Even if the illustrator converts the pdf it won't be as an edited conversion it can be seen as an image file in illustrator

try asking fot SVG ot ESP file ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll definitely do that!

It was weird because illustrator let me open the first PDF they sent and I was able to complete one label design, but after that is when illustrator started giving me 'the file could not be opened' pop-ups.

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Procreate doesn't export vector artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Monika! It was a actually a vector file that they saved as a PDF (sorry, I may have worded that incorrectly in my original post). 

Not sure if these particular files had a bug or not because I haven't had any issues in the past with PDFs that were sent to me. And all of those illustrations were designed in procreate as well.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Procreate creates raster images, so what created the vector file that ended up in the PDF? Was there some conversion involved?

Or is this just a raster image stored in a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

To be honest, I'm not sure. I'll have bring this up to the graphic designer. They never had any issues before like this so they're just as confused as I am.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, is this the workflow?

Procreate > Export to PDF > Place in Illustrator

Or are there other steps we could be missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, pretty sure that's all they did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you get them to export a TIFF instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They ended up saving as a high resolution jpg. Not sure why this particular art illustration pdf is giving issues. I never had problems before and all art illustrations were designed in Procreate and saved as pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way that Procreate exports vector artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.autotracer.org/ 

Think this can convert your needs ! @AMD.  @Monika Gause @Doug A Roberts 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also can't make sense out of a black rectangle.

The only thing that really helps here is educate this graphic designer who thinks that Procreate is a good choice for making a logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haaa  I Agree! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's for an art illustration, which they have done multiple times for me and other clients, and all were created in Procreate. All files were PDFs and I never encountered any issues opening in illustrator. 

The only issue they are having is when they move the art illustration file from Procreate into illustrator to embed. That's when the black box appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nobody knows how Procreate writes PDFs.

It would be far safer tonot use the format for that purpose. Better use PSD, Procreate cannot export vector content and nobody knows if it can properly handle color management, so exporting PDF doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines