• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sorting algoritm for illustrator

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a daily task of organising dozens of objects(actually groups with vector text inside) in an as sefficient height as possible. i do this by hand as i have not found a good way to do this programmaticly, i am aware there is a javascript bin stacking algoritm but it only arranges it with the current rotate. i however want a script that keeps in account every possible rotation of 90 degreess or a multitude.

the result is for print, so a lot of small files can be combined to be printed at once with minimum loss of material ink and man hour.

if anyone can give me some pointers that would already be huge help(or even reccomend someone to sell it)

im pretty sure this has been done as i remember mimaki rip software doing this years ago

thanks in advance

a pre organised file:                        

unsorted.png

a organized file:

sorted.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish , Scripting , SDK , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you already mentioned yourself, there are plug-ins to that effect, typically bundled with print-centric software suites. Doing this as a script is likely feasible, as it's a classic backtracking problem in mathematical terms - the complexity is the number of objects to the power of possible rotations and positions, meaning even a scenario with only a handful of objects could cause a script to run for forever to try out all possible combinations and find the best one (unless you add specific constraints that eliminate unwanted solutions right out of the gate).

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this plugin, let us know if it works for you

http://illustrator.e-cut.ru/index.php?view=function&functionid=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey  @CarlosCanto 

it´s works good, but isn´t for Free, I guess so!

let me know if  Im doing something wrong  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerson, correct, it's not free, it costs $49 usd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Gracias!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarlosCanto.  I downloaded e-cut, but I'm not able to load it.  I get this message when I open Illustrator (CS6):

Untitled.png

It's not important enough to want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, but I would be interested if you've come across such a message before and know a quick fix.  Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't installed it but the same error has been reported before.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/what-should-be-correct-path-location-for-plugin-aip-files...

Did you install it here?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins

these are the developer instructions

http://illustrator.e-cut.ru/index.php?view=article&id=68

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll have a look and get back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gersson Delgado,

just a side note: In order to develop a plugin that Carlos mentioned it is required to do an incredible amount of very complex mathematical thoughts. Paying just about 50 Dollars for it is rather like getting a gift, in my eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is kind of a gift at that price, writing a plugin (or Extension or Script) takes a long time, the developer would hope to have a lot of sales to make it worth his/her time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Carlos.

And I think it is not just the time and effort to develop it that should be mentioned here.

Usually, nesting applications are used in order to save precious material and therefore money. It is not just a nice-to-have script that may create some beautiful spring flower shapes.

Therefore I think it is a bit difficult to understand why some people think that it may or should be for free. The investment for the nesting application may often pay off after just using it during one production run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I completely agree with you Kurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines