• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source File illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hello! I have a question regarding saving something as a source file to send to a client, I understand that it needs to be a file that they can edit themselves as needed. But what format do I save the source file in? Is it just the "save as" option that saves as a project? Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I have googled it and I can't find a clear answer. Thank you! 
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Some people use DPI and PPI as synonyms. Assume they mean PPI in this context.

For AI files, create them at the physical size you need. PPI is something that is set on export to a raster format, which it sounds like you won't need to do.

Set your document raster effects to 300 PPI. This ensures that any raster effects (like drop shadow or inner glow) are rendered at a high enough quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they need to continue editing, you need to send them an AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of artwork is it? (logo, illustration, technical dawing ...)

Does it contain linked files? What kind of objects does it contain? Text?

What will they use it for?

Will they use Illustrator to edit the file? The same version as you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's for an illustration that I have created for a colouring book. It will not contain any text. They only stated that they wanted a source file if illustrator or photoshop was used. I just wanted to make sure I submit the correct file type. 

Also, They have stated that they want the resolution to be 300 dpi, but as far as I know, I can only adjust the PPI in illustrator. Have they just typed the wrong thing, or am I missing something?

Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people use DPI and PPI as synonyms. Assume they mean PPI in this context.

For AI files, create them at the physical size you need. PPI is something that is set on export to a raster format, which it sounds like you won't need to do.

Set your document raster effects to 300 PPI. This ensures that any raster effects (like drop shadow or inner glow) are rendered at a high enough quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines