• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

spacebar hand tool illustrator and photoshop 2019???

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Whats have Adobe done with the Hand tool and why is it now 'H'

This is in Photoshop and Illustrator (so far)

I can't seem to put the hot-key. back to spacebar as we are only allowed to add letters.

Space bar was the perfect place for the hand tool for quickly moving around your dartboard and by adding command to your keys you could easily zoom in, add alt to the mix and you can zoom out. After using this for more than a decade the new 'H' is just crap.

Can you sort this out Adobe?

at least give us the option to add spacebar manually as a hot-key

Come on Adobe, If it aint broke.........

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Ok Guys I've reinstalled all my 2019 Apps and we are back to normal thank god!

Thanks for trying to help me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the spacebar was a hot key, it was a modifier, and it still works. The way the spacebar works is that no matter what tool you're in you can hold the spacebar down and temporarily use the hand tool, and when you release the spacebar you're back at whatever tool you were on. Using H as a shortcut is for when you want to permanently choose the Hand tool.

The spacebar continues to work fine in Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, Animate, and probably every other Adobe app. H as a shortcut to actually select the Hand tool works in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Animate. For some reason it doesn't work in XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Guys I've reinstalled all my 2019 Apps and we are back to normal thank god!

Thanks for trying to help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, both in Illustrator and InDesign. On project deadline so don't have the time to reinstall at the moment. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me… I'm about to go insane!!!

*EDIT* It was the Webroot SecureAnywhere issue outlined below. Checked "Pause secure keyboard entry" and now it works 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H has always been the shortcut for the hand tool.

Spacebar has always been the modifier key and also still works. You could never change the modifier keys.

You might want to describe your problem. Doesn't the spacebaar give you the hand tool? Are you perhaps in text editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Minika, Spacebar no longer gives me the hand tool.

Is the same as anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! It happened after I got a new laptop and transferred everything over. I think I'll try a reinstall when I have time.

But in the meantime, I discovered a short-term solution. I substituted the Z key. Using the Z key for the Hand Tool puts that function close to the space bar.

I don't use Z for zoom anyway (I use Command+ to zoom). So switching the hand to the Z key makes sense. It takes a little getting used to. But it isn't as bad as the H key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'd like to post an aleternative solution for future reference/help.

I've been struggling with this issue for the last week. It was with the space bar pan but also shift-scale to scale proportionally. I have been experiencing this same problem on other programmes (non-Adobe) that used space-bar panning. Many people have solved this by closing web browsers or restarting and opening no programmes before the problematic one. We found the problem for me was in the antivirus software I have installed - Webroot. This program was overriding use of the spacebar for itself despite the fact I'd be in a different program!

The solution is simple - just check the "Pause secure keyboard entry" option in it's dropdown menu on the right side of your menu bar. I presume that there will be a similar setting for other programs that have this capability - whether browsers, antivirus software or others. Reinstalling all apps would solve this (as seen in this thread) but it may be worth looking to see if you have Webroot or similar first!

Either way, I hope this helps - I'm certainly pleased to have my pan back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The culprit was Webroot for me: https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?vw=1&solutionid=1369

This solution addresses Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac OS X 10.7 and higher

Due to the unique way in which keyboard shortcuts work on the Mac OS, the secure keyboard entry feature may prohibit shortcut functions in a variety of applications. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite Products, Macro applications, or some built in features that are triggered by key combinations—such as Dictation and Speech.

This can be resolved by clicking the Webroot icon located on the top right of the menu bar, then clicking Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.

Once activated, you will see a checkmark next to the menu option. While this is selected, Webroot SecureAnywhere will not secure keystrokes against keylogging software, though it will still be actively protecting you against infections. It is important to ensure that this function is enabled when browsing the internet—particularly on secure sites that require a username and password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what the f is this, i've been using Illustrator for over 10 years, and now suddenly "quick hand tool is gone" what the h. this is veeeeery irritating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What version of Illustrator and OS are you using? In Illustrator 2020 and macOS 10.15, the quick hand tool in the space bar is working.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me. I didn't update anything. It was working fine on Friday, and then on Monday it's no longer working. I'm on AI CC2019 v23.0.2, MacOS Mojave v10.14.6.

EDIT: Just updated to AI CC 2020 (v24) and everything is back to normal. Might have just been one of those random preference blips where AI just tosses a preference for no good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hand tool via spacebar fails again, worked yesterday, then I updated to v24.0.1. 

Annoying! 

MacOs Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html They can login to your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure out how to get the space bar hand tool back?  I just updated to Illustrator 2020 and no quick hand tool with the space bar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you figure out how to get the space bar hand tool back?"

No general issu with that.

Do you have anything special installed? A Wacom? Any system extensions?

Is the shortcut reserved by the system?

When was the last computer restart?

Did you try and reset the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what I did, but it's working again.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Tried out a few of methods suggested in various discussions...

Quit out of Safari and reopened, all back to normal...hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the culprit for the issue on my end: it was my Wacom pad! I disconnected and all keyboard commands were back as they were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who has the same problem, but nothing of this software. I was wondering that BetterTouchTools on Mac shows that "Secure Input" is enabled with PID ###. I looked for the running task and it seemed like a password input from MacOS lost somewhere (on no desktop found).
Before looking for ages how to stop that, I restarted and space works again.

BetterTouchTool describes the Secure Input and it seems like after long use maybe a task did not disabled it properly and it stays as a Zombie in background disabling certain keys. But I have to admit, that I´m too lazy for upgrading and still on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Illustrator 25.0.1, Macbook Pro 2020. 

Spacebar no longer works as Hand Tool. Happened to me twice in a week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long thread. It already has some answers. Have youread it all and checked on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything, uninstall & reinstall, restart the computer, turn off spotlight, etc. Nothing worked. There is no Webroot installed in this computer. Ugh so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are about a gazillion applications and system extensions that interfere with the spacebar.

Reboot the computer and then turn off everything (yes, also your browser and e-mail and stuff) and launch only Illustrator. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines