Highlighted

Spacebar not working as quick hand tool on MAC – Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Illustator and Photoshop version and in both of them the spacebar ain't working as quick hand tool on Mac.

Hi Bill,

You are right in my situation it was MS Word and MS Excel. I closed them both and could use space bar in the Adobe Illustrator rightaway.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Arek

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Spacebar not working as quick hand tool on MAC – Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Illustator and Photoshop version and in both of them the spacebar ain't working as quick hand tool on Mac.

Hi Bill,

You are right in my situation it was MS Word and MS Excel. I closed them both and could use space bar in the Adobe Illustrator rightaway.

Regards,

Arek

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 24, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for reaching out. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of  Illustrator and the macOS.
  2. Please try closing all the application and reboot the device and after that please launch Illustrator only and then check again. This is just to ensure none of the other applications are not conflicting with the app.
  3. If that doesn't work, please try resetting the preferences by following the steps(for latest version) below:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I am having the same issue. I am slightly confused by your instructions – In Library > Caches I do not have any of the above files/folders. Can you please elaborate? 

EDIT: I am on a Macbook Pro running macOS Mojave and Adobe Illustrator CC 2020. This is also happening on InDesign 2020 and Photoshop 2020. I have tried relaunching.

Thanks,

Blythe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It refers to your user library. Please read the system documentation on how to access it.

Also: check if you have any of the following running

the browser Chrome, screen sharing, remote control, a mouse enhacing system extension, banking software, e-mail ... several other apps and system extensions might be affected. They interfere with modifier keys. You need to isolate it and then color it or configure it so it doesn't interfere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 2
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'll side with Monika, Ps, Ai and Id share way less code than you might think.

If the space bar does not work in any of them, it is because it is hijacked by another software...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion, as suggested by Monika, it refers to the user library. For more information, you can refer to this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! 🙂

If you want to go to the library in MacOS you need to go to the menubar at the top and choose the option "GO"

While you're in Finder. When the dropmenu opens, you can press the Option or Alt key. When pressed, you will see "Library" apear and disapear when not pressing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rishabh

I've tryed this several times and It just creates another folder when I open the programs.
Is there any other solution? 

Maybe logging into the computer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does happen when you use the spacebar? What is most likely happening is that some other program is using the spacebar as a shortcut and superceding Illustrator and Photoshop. Try rebooting your computer and only opening Illustrator or Photoshop and see if the shortcut now works. Then you can try launching other programs until you find out which one is causing the conflict. You may also want to try simply typing an "H" (with no text active) whenever you want to quickly get the hand tool in either program.

I don't think that this is an issue of corrupt preferences since it is happening for both Illustrator and Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 4
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Regards,

Arek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 4
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill. That worked for me too. I closed my MS word and it worked right away.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 2
Advocate ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try to go to your System Preferences on Mac and see if under Keyboard Shortcuts, if "Spotlight" is using the space bar for a shortcut (which that can be turned off), or check under  System Preferences "Mission Control" or "Accessibility" menus to see if the space bar is assigned as a shortcut to another tool? When hitting the space bar, does it launch another window or program? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue after updating Mac OS.
Pls let me know when you found a solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dano,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This generally happens when the shortcut key is getting utilized by any other software, please close all the application and then reboot the system and only launch Illustrator and check if it works. Please try other steps suggested in this thread and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2020 1
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is Chrome running? Some users reported that if it started before other programs, it hijacks the spacebar.

see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/spacebar-indesign-2020-not-working-on-macos-catalina/td-p/10...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2020 1
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some it's Chrome (or one of its plugins), for others it's something else (that remote control app - I forgot the name). Someone added Figma to the list just days ago. Another one reported some mouse driver. In the end you have to terminate all processes one by one and see which caused it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2020 2
Resources