• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

spherical dome with holes (based on the attached image)

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image from a CAD design I made and want to replicate (on the left). I tried to recreate the image with some sort of combination of a 3D hemisphere and some holes in AI (on the right). I tried making a 3D hemisphere and using "map art" to map the holes, but never achieved the desired result. I also tried using warp -> fisheye, but that distorts the circles themselves. Ideally I would like to map something onto a spherical/curved surface. Any tips how I could do that? Thanks

Vaiva5E1D_0-1610101071428.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator maps art on surfaces using the Mercator projection.

If you want to drill the holes through an already curved surface, you will need to build it based on the 3D modeling as a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I understand that I will need to build it based on the 3D model as a template (which is what I was trying to do). And I understand that Mercator projection distorts the holes hence it doesn't achieve the desired result. Would you happen to have any pointers? I seem to have exhausted my options. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of pointers are you thinking of?

If you need to have an exact version, then probably you need to use a CAD application.

Other than that: trace the ellipses with the pen tool or use the shear tool on each single one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just how to cut holes at desired positions based on a pattern (9 equidistantly displaced holes). The image is an example, I just wanted to cut holes through the half-dome which I made. I will try the pen tool suggestion, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

excellent, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines