Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Static measure tool? Draggable?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

First-time Illustrator user; longtime Photoshop user.

In Photoshop, I've grown accustomed to measuring a distance between two points using its Ruler tool. Once I've dragged the Ruler across and let go of the mouse button, the Ruler line remains on-screen. It can also be dragged throughout the workspace.

When using Illustrator's seemingly similar Measure tool, after dragging it from Point A to Point B and lifting the mouse button, the Measure line immediately disappears.

How can I use Illustrator's Measure tool in such a way that allows the measured line to remain on-screen? And is it possible to drag that line as-is within the workspace?

AI & PS screenshot comparisons attached.

photoshop ruler tool (onDrag + onUp).png

illustrator measure tool (onDrag + onUp).png

Takk!

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

You can't use the measure tool at all. It's not precise. In Illustrator for measuring please draw a line with the line segment tool. With it you can snap.

As for a  ruler tool I would suggest you make a feature request: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't use the measure tool at all. It's not precise. In Illustrator for measuring please draw a line with the line segment tool. With it you can snap.

As for a  ruler tool I would suggest you make a feature request: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines