• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop the beeping!!!

Engaged ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like if I have something selected and use the keyboard shortcut to zoom in, the hold space bar to get the Hand tool, Illustrator CS 5 beeps. There seems to be so much beeping in the app that I've turned my sound off.

Any way to stop the beeping aside from not using the tools Illustrator gave us!?

Adobe Community Expert
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Only satisfying solution (apart from installing additional software) that I've found is to just use Alt Gr+scroll instead of alt+scroll. Alt Gr doesnt seem to activate the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 138 Replies 138
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been living with this for years. Its finally driving me mental. I dont understand how this isn't driving everyone mental.  Including everyone that is developing this software.  Why would a bit of software that relies so heavily on this key combination allow this? How many people really use alt to activate the menu?  really? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont understand how this isn't driving everyone mental.

Maybe because the first thing most people  do when getting a new computer  is setting  it up  to be  silent,

. so it doesn't make silly noises all day long..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solition

You can turn off this sound in Sound options...

Sketch 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned off the critical alarm from chime to no sound in the system sounds ... annoying stuff...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just press the spacebar FIRST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am using photoshop 2017.1.1 and I am now hearing this windows os beep sound for the first time today. It is not occurring with regard to the alt key, it's happening when i use the ctrl key and I drag into a layers Opacity value slider or any slider for that matter. It's as if the preference "beep when done" (which is not checked on in my case) is broken and turned on permanently. After the value is adjusted via ctrl + left click dragging all i have to do is hit ctl key and the beep continues until I click off the layer or press esc. This is a new problem in terms of my typical use of photoshop.. Been using it for over a decade and never had this annoying issue before. For now I have turned off the beep in windows but as others have said, that is not a solution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I found
when using a Wacom in windows 10

- replied on
"If Accessibility Options doesn't fix the issue for you, then check
Options
in the On Screen Keyboard app (osk.exe).  Remove the check mark from the box:

Use click sound."
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/solved-windows-10-makes-beeping-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already figured it out here is the link that worked for me. I just went to sounds in windows 10 by right clicking on the speaker to the right on the taskbar. Then I selected no sounds under Sound Scheme.  This still allowed me to play music and youtube videos. It seems to have only turned off alerts.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-notification-system-sounds-windows-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm now having this problem Not just when i hit Alt and then some other key, but also when i press the X to switch BG/FG COlors and the D, that occurs even if the menus are not Highlighted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a solution.

Disabling a windows OS sound is not a solution. I got so tired of this beep that I wrote a small, simple program in C# to automatically (read: programmatically) press the [alt] key after I lift up on the [alt] key in Photoshop. That way if I'm zooming in on an image in Photoshop, and I release [alt] to stop zooming, my program will immediately press [alt] in the background to remove focus from the alt-menus. This allows me to then immediately press the space bar to pan around the image, and I do not get any annoying beeps. It's basically just pressing [alt] again for you (like the Adobe staff said to do), only you don't even notice it.

All I have to do is startup my program and let it run in the background. This beeping was driving me bonkers, so I spent a couple hours and just fixed it myself since Adobe doesn't seem to care.

IDEALLY Adobe would just allow us to customize the zoom controls to use [ctrl]+scrollwheel instead of [alt]... you know, like every other windows program out there.

Let me know if you guys want my program. I can clean it up, and then share it somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny how this literally never happened in any other non-Adobe program I've ever used on any PC, yet this is still an unsolved issue. I don't understand how so many people can work properly with photoshop beeping every time you need to use the most basic and common shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taran Van Hemert actually found a solution, here is his video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRld4bVFrpU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for posting this! I finally switched (won't say upgraded...) to CS6 and this was driving me crazy. Especially all the comments from Adobe workers on this forum saying that it wasn't a bug. Cripes. Finally I'm not hearing a chime every time I zoom out in Animate (Z+alt)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines