Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange PDF

Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I know this isn't the correct forum for my question, but the Acrobat forums doesn't seem to have much activity.

I opened a PDF in illustrator last night and it revealed a lot more content than was visible in Acrobat DC. In Acrobat the PDF showed one line of musical notes, which was what I expected, but in AI another line of notes appeared a bit further down the page. The same thing happens in Indesign when placing the PDF. There is no clipping masks involved.

Anyone knows what is going on here?

Rune

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Ah, so it's a page size thing. A PDF has five different size boxes (but none of them is a mask): media box, clip box, trim box, bleed box, and art box. My guess is that different apps are choosing different boxes. I also imagine that what you see in Acrobat is what the author intended, because it shows the crop box - the result of cropping in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not open PDFs in Illustrator as Illustrator is not a common PDF editor. Only those PDFs which were created in Illustrator with AI fork can be opened, all others not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only opened it in AI to check if the same "extra" content i saw in Indesign was visible in Illustrator as well. The issue here is why I can't see everything that is on the page in Acrobat.

Rune

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which app did you use to create the PDF?

And please show a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they were created in Finale or Sibelius. I'll post screenshots later today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try and narrow this down a bit.

1. The extra notes - do they appear INSIDE the normal size of the page, or does Illustrator show a bigger page (with room for more notes).

2. Are these staves something you expect to see, or something a little surpising? I wonder if someone has masked out what they didn't want; both Illustrator and InDesign will ignore some kinds of mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1) Illustrator show a bigger page

2) No, I didn't expect to see them. I only expected to see what the preview in Bridge showed me.

I have attached som screenshots from Indesign, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat

Skjermbilde 2017-05-09 kl. 17.12.14.pngSkjermbilde 2017-05-09 kl. 17.12.44.pngSkjermbilde 2017-05-09 kl. 17.13.44.pngSkjermbilde 2017-05-09 kl. 17.14.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so it's a page size thing. A PDF has five different size boxes (but none of them is a mask): media box, clip box, trim box, bleed box, and art box. My guess is that different apps are choosing different boxes. I also imagine that what you see in Acrobat is what the author intended, because it shows the crop box - the result of cropping in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right! Import options in InDesign were set to its default "Bounding box" and ignored the crop box from Acrobat/Sibelius. It would have been great with some kind of warning, but that's for another forum...

Thank you for you help on this:)

Rune

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines