Highlighted

Stroke is jagged in Illustrator 2020(v24.2.3)

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test_1200x1200-01.jpgNo matter what size I make the stroke, it looks jagged on screen as well as when exported as a jpg and pdf. The stroke is .5pt and is still jagged if I go to 1pt. 

I am using Illustrator 24.2.3. 

Any suggestions?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

They look good to me at 100%.

100% view is the only way to judge the quality of an image.

There are limitations to what a pixel device can display, especially when small lines are drawn on a small angle.

There should be no difference between lines drawn with the Pen tool and drawn with the Line tool.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Stroke is jagged in Illustrator 2020(v24.2.3)

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test_1200x1200-01.jpgNo matter what size I make the stroke, it looks jagged on screen as well as when exported as a jpg and pdf. The stroke is .5pt and is still jagged if I go to 1pt. 

I am using Illustrator 24.2.3. 

Any suggestions?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

There are limitations to what a pixel device can display, especially when small lines are drawn on a small angle.

There should be no difference between lines drawn with the Pen tool and drawn with the Line tool.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you applied stroke to lines ?

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Is that why? This is the first time I ever used lines. I usually use the pen tool...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes try with pen tool and check....regards

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to Ali's suggestion, please try toggling the CPU/GPU Preview under View menu and see if it makes any change.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 1
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 2
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you may try; choose Art Optimized as Anti Aliasing option when exporting images. The default is Type Optimized and is not very good for vector artwork.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this tip. Honestly, I always overlooked this and will certainly be adding it to my toolbox for future use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. You confirmed my thoughts about the lines being so thin but I was able to confidently tell my client that with your help. The "drawing" is what it is and the client understood that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0