• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroked Text without Fill?

Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The goal is to export a text block with one copy Stroked/Outlined with no interior fill. The second copy should be filled, with no stroke. (these will export to a 3D modeling app) 

When I create a text block having a 2Pt stroke and no fill, it remains filled -not transparent. What is required for this appearance?

I also tried creating path objects from the text, with the stroke outlined. But then there are compound path errors as I’m prompted that the objects are grouped and can’t become compound. The AI interface has become so complex, that all I encounter are seemingly arbitrary dead ends. (I’m primarily a Photoshop artist -where there are always intuitive solutions to any goal) Is it not possible to spec a simple text block with a solid stroke and no fill? I would then outline the stroked characters and export. The simple filled text copy would then be outlined/exported separately.
I have attached a very garish example of the ultimate construction.
I also see that active Spellcheck doesn’t seem to work here. Is there a way to enable that?
Thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.12.52 AM.jpg
TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

What I am gleaning from your description is that you are not able to achieve something like this:

tromboniator_0-1600983009311.png

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

If you select the stroked version does the bottom of the toolbar show the fill as empty (white square with red stripe)?

tromboniator_1-1600983176579.png

I would venture to say that neither Photoshop nor Illustrator is anywhere neat "intuitive", and scrutability is all about familiarity.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to outline both the text and the stroke.

Always check your artwork in the layers panel and the appearance panel.

And in the end maybe create a compound path out of it. But that depends on the functionality of the 3D application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried all that, but could not acheive the desired result. This is BASIC. AI interface has become inscrutable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what kind of data  the 3D application expects?

From then on, you will of course need to know the basics of Illustrator. It's professional software aimed at professionals who want to get their job done. So some reading of documentation is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I am gleaning from your description is that you are not able to achieve something like this:

tromboniator_0-1600983009311.png

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

If you select the stroked version does the bottom of the toolbar show the fill as empty (white square with red stripe)?

tromboniator_1-1600983176579.png

I would venture to say that neither Photoshop nor Illustrator is anywhere neat "intuitive", and scrutability is all about familiarity.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines