• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG doesn’t display all information in Illustrator

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have a very interesting problem and many of my colleagues couldn’t help me, so here I am, asking the all knowing internet for advice.

Download this file from wikipedia: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Map_of_French_Polynesia-fr.svg

Then open the file with Photoshop where you can see all information and text displayed.

Then open the same file with Illustrator.

What’s going on, where is all information gone? How can I make it appear?

Thanks for your help,

Bernhard

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

The W3C validator shows 150 errors and issues with file.

Most of the islands are somewhat messed up and have no fill, but also their strokes are not closed paths. 

Illustrator has issues with a lot of SVG files, but also this file has some issues of its own.

You coud try and open it with Inkscape. Then export it as whatever it has to offer and load that into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Inkscape displays a lot of information as well. Some apps can deal with this better. Also: as I said Illustrator does have issues with certain SVG constructs.

If you want to report this to the developers: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not getting an option to download the file. Could you please save the file to the Creative cloud (or similar service) and share the download link here.

Here are the steps to share the file ((https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html)). 

Also, please share a few screenshots highlighting the issue. This will help us understand this problem and help you accordingly.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for your reply. To download the file simply hit right click on the above link and then "save target as". This should open a dialog where you choose the destination of the file. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The W3C validator shows 150 errors and issues with file.

Most of the islands are somewhat messed up and have no fill, but also their strokes are not closed paths. 

Illustrator has issues with a lot of SVG files, but also this file has some issues of its own.

You coud try and open it with Inkscape. Then export it as whatever it has to offer and load that into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically what you are saying is that the file is corrupt to begin with? But how come photoshop does manage to display a bucketload of more information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Inkscape displays a lot of information as well. Some apps can deal with this better. Also: as I said Illustrator does have issues with certain SVG constructs.

If you want to report this to the developers: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines