• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG files doesn't open correctly. - Illustrator

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added as attachment the .svg files which aren't opened correctly, it is kinda only showing the filling.

This problem accures in Illustrator Windows, and iPad OS, didn't tested on mac right now, but i don't have big hope.

My guts tell me that there is a newer SVG standard, which isn't implemented yet?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesn't open SVGs, but it imports them.

So your guts may be right.

You should report this to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

And then try if Inkscape can open and export it to PDF or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny i paid one thousend doller, only to have to use an opensource programm?

I can really not understand how by a multimillion concern provided industry standard programm, can not be held up to date.

Thank you very much Monika for at least a workaround 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simple. SVG is not a native file format of Illustrator. The native file format is AI.

SVG supports a lot of constructs that Illustrator doesn't even know of. SVG has its roots in the web, with a compltely different conception of how files work, or how object styling works. With completely different requirements of what files need to be able to do (animation, interactivity etc.). And with a completely different body of developers and  different dynamics in development. Different structures in development teams and then browser developers adding their part to file formats.

Illustrator was never meant for that. So what should it do when it encounters structures or attributes in a file that it cannot map to its own file structure?

Inkscape on the other hand is built around the SVG file format. It uses it as its own file format. And Inkscape does nothing else than SVG. It's not suitable for print for example while Illustrator has to match the requirements of a vast amount of different industries. The web industry is not the only one that uses Illustrator. It might not even be a large part of the user base. The web industry is very dynamic as regards its use of tools. They might have used Illustrator more, but shifted to other tools in the meantime.

That is what the Illustrator developers need to take into account when they decide where to put the money. They have done a lot of SVG improvements lately, but web developers are very inventive and find ways to do things with the file format, that even the SVG developers might not have thought of. So which ingeniuties should be implemented in Illustrator when there are other demands as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that one has to keep focus, but SVG is the norm, the standard of vector graphics.

AI not, so SVG will live for ever even when Adobe dicontinous AI, because SVG is more much more, it is kinda a decentral comunity if you so want.

And i just bought afinity desginer for ipad, 20 bucks and does the job and even .ai and they had to reverse ingenier it, which is waaay more difficult.

So i am feeling in my opinion a obvious antipathy from adobe against .svg

PS.: Inkscape was not capabile to do the job, but afinity desgin opend it, made my thing and saved it as svg and also as ai, for only 20 bucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Designer does not open AI files.

It imports the embedded PDF. If there is no PDF embedded, then Affinity Designer won't be able to open the AI file.

CorelDRAW can import native AI files.

As for SVG: yes, it is a standard (not *the* standard). But Illustrator just has a different document model and a different way of treating things. There are a lot of functions in Illustrator that SVG can't even dream of, but still people rely on them.

And if Inkscape doesn't open your SVG, then obviously it hasn't been built according to the standard.

If you want to make the engineers aware of missing SVG functionality in Illustrator, then please post this to http://illustrator.uservoice.com. They are improving SVG support with every version. But they are just not listening in this forum. They are on uservoice.

BTW: this is a user to user foum. You are 90% of the time not talking to Adobe here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same Issue. Found out that you can open it with Figma, so you dont´t have to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines