Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG files messed up when I import into Illustrator

New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I import SVG files into Illustrator (saved from R), they get completely messed up.  Random portions of the figure are missing.  Any suggestions?

Best wishes,

Lucy

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And "saved from R" means what? The statistics software? Reddit? Some other service/ program? Generated with the R programming language? You need to be much more specific. That aside it's usually not particular helpful to describe such issues, but rather to show screenshots or the files in question themselves/ the SVG code. Again, you need to provide much more info and explain rather than just saying that your file gets messed up.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG is not a native file format of Illustrator.

It may or may not work.

Is the SVG file valid as per the W3C Validation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have sent my file to the Adobe tech support and they are looking to fix the issue in upcoming releases of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try open instead of import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well aware that this issue been posted two years ago, but it has not been fixed as currently I am having the same troubles with it! I am doing exactly same thing, importing a plot/figure that has been generated with R (and to address the passive-aggressive commenter below, R means something has been generated using either the stats software (RStudio) or the code itself, most likely a plot, and that should not matter to you) and is currently in an SVG format. I also have another file that has been made with InkScape so it is also in SVG. When I place it in Illustrator, a lot of information is lost - text, boxes, some lines are simply missing. The objects that seem to have maintained their original state are not easily moved. This is all understandable considering it is coming from another format, but perhaps there is a workaround? If not a great solution then at least perhaps some other way of importing it that would make it look like the closest possible version to that which would have been made with Illustrator. 

P.S. no particular examples required, really. Just import any SVG file into Illustrator via 'Place' function and it will be obvious what is the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of Inkscape you may have to experiment with some of its options for saving SVG files or exporting in other file formats. Inkscape incorporates some secret sauce flavors into the SVG files it creates. What kind of fonts are you using in the layouts? If you're using any Postscript Type 1 fonts that could partially explain missing text boxes, etc. Adobe removed support for T1 fonts from its applications recently.

I'm not familiar at all with R Studio. What kinds of curves is it creating? The reason I ask is because of experience dealing with CAD type files, such as drawings of building elevations. Those applications don't use Bezier style vectors. Everything is arcs and lines or poly-lines. When opened in a vector graphics application like Illustrator the line work is often "exploded" into lots of open line segments. That stuff is fine to run out on a plotter for drawing plan sheets. But it doesn't work so well for graphics purposes. If R Studio is generating similar kinds of line work that could explain some of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply! So the take-away message essentially is that there is no easy way to do it or fix it all together? I am not the one who is creating the figures via InkScape (my colleagues are), hence I am not sure which parts are more problematic than others. But it is a constant issue - half of the people in Academia use InkScape (because it is free) and the other half - Illustrator (usually only if academic institutions have licences). We all end up unable to share our files properly and people often need to start from scratch with their preferred software.

Regarding R, if anyone is really keen, you could have a look at this website: https://huygens.science.uva.nl/SuperPlotsOfData/ and what kind of plots are generated there (if you proceed to plot there without uploading any data it will use example data). This is essentially the same thing that would come out of R/RStudio but has been nicely implemented into a web interface. When those plots are saved as a SVG and then imported into Illustrator - half (if not more) of the information is lost. My current workaround is to save it as a PDF which is much easier to edit on Illustrator after 'releasing the mask', it's just time-consuming and tedious.

Anyways, thanks! There are a few really annoying ways how to minimize these issues now, but just wanted to know if perhaps I am unaware of some nice importing or format switching tool that would make things much easier and less time-consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite a variety of vector graphics applications have been developed over the past 30+ years, some of which are defunct now. Few, if any of these applications could provide 100% feature overlap of a rival application. When artwork is exported from one application to another it's common for things to be lost in translation. The trick is figuring out the features that work and other features that break when exporting and importing and then working around those limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines